Jazz Music Thread

Miles who? :thinking:
:heart:

1 Like

Kind of Blue? Never heard about that album. What kind of jazz it is, Dixieland, pre bop…hard core ?

It’s kind of hard to describe. It’s a bit like a Sade instrumental album - if you can imagine that.

You might be able to find a copy somewhere - you never know.

Kind of blue is perhaps the most known jazz album on the planet. I have it of course, was joking. But I have to say that I have listened to it a bit too many times…
Not listened to it since many years now.

Saw this album on the WAYLTI2021 thread and thought worth posting here…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Stan Getz’s final recording, a two-CD live set of duets with pianist Kenny Barron that was cut just three months before his death, finds the great tenor in surprisingly creative form despite an occasional shortness of breath. Getz’s tone is as beautiful as ever and he does not spare himself on this often exquisite set. His version of Charlie Haden’s “First Song” is a highlight but none of the 14 performances are less than great. A brilliant farewell recording by a masterful jazzman.

Thanks to @anon4489532

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Just received. Still sealed 1976 album.

2 Likes

A little mysterious but a very good listen
Iver

4 Likes

Very enjoyable. New to me.

2 Likes

Another album featuring Jan Lundgren worth checking out…

The same group have recorded a total of 3 albums.

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

One of my favourites…
61thjEZED5L.SS500
Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

29: Bill Evans Trio: Waltz For Debby (Riverside)
Bill Evans brought a fresh perspective to jazz piano playing by avoiding bebop clichés
and drawing on the lush harmonisation of French impressionist classical composers
Debussy and Ravel. ‘Waltz For Debby’ was a song inspired by the pianist’s young niece;
first recorded in 1956 on the album New Jazz Conceptions, it quickly became a jazz
standard. It also became the title track of this live album recorded in June 1961 at the
Village Vanguard in New York. Waltz For Debby’s material was drawn from the same
performance that yielded the Sunday At The Village Vanguard album, with Evans, bassist
Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian showing a high degree of empathy and
symbiotic communication never before witnessed in a jazz trio setting. LaFaro, just 25,
was tragically killed ten days later, though his genius is preserved in his amazing
performances here.

Key song: ‘My Foolish Heart’

Enjoy

Dave

14 Likes

According to the Naim app, this is my most played album and that doesn’t count any time I play the vinyl version, of course. Although I also have the triple album of the whole day, I reckon this is played more frequently as it give immediate access to the brilliant My Foolish Heart, which is the opening track. The background chatter and sound of glasses being placed down etc. just seems to add to the realism. Just close your eyes and you’re transported back in time to 178, Seventh Avenue S., NYC on 25 June 1961. Brilliant!

5 Likes

A new name to me but I’m enjoying the album and reading his back story. Sadly he died of cancer in 2017 at the age of 60.

Dave

Piano trio jazz doesn’t get any better. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

A very interesting article on the ECM record label…

Dave

1 Like

Enjoying today playing recommendations from this thread. I discover so much “wealth” here Thanks @jazzman22 @PatM for your recommendations: Paolo Fresu and Tom McClung are both fantastic recommendations

The system also in top shape benefitting from the bettered acoustics now

Iver

3 Likes

Tone Poet LP

5 Likes

Somewhat obscure and hard to find back in the day:

I have that one on lp. Specially well recorded, direct to lp.
One track is very good…

Musicians: Dave Grusin, vocals & piano; Ron Carter, bass; Lee Ritenour, guitar; Harvey Mason, drums; Larry Bunker, percussion.

Selections:

1. A Child is Born

2. Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow

3. Sun Song

4. Captain Bacardi

Three Cowboy Songs:

1. Git Along Little Dogies

2. The Colorado Trail

3. Cripple Creek Breakdown

4. Adeus A Papai

Previously unreleased alternative performances:

1. Keep Your Eyes On The Sparrow (theme from Barreta)

2. Sun Song

3. Git Along Little Dogies

4. The Colorado Trail

2 Likes

Discovered again. Nice

1 Like