Jazz Music Thread

He played a lot with Bowie. Very pleasant listening.

1 Like

I had an email this morning from Rough Trade who are selling the Tubby Hayes vinyl set for £90, apparently marked down from £199.

In the post this morning.image
Sold for a good price used but still in the plastic wrapping.

One for Jazzman. Hod O’Brien.
This interesting pianist was featured on my recent Herb Geller cd purchase.
On Quobuzimage
Three volumes.
His helpmates are well up to the task.:star_struck:
N

3 Likes

First Mosaic I ever bought, many years ago, direct from the USA, took forever to arrive. No custom duties though.

Hod O’Brien is another new name to me but with Ray Dummond and Kenny Washington on board it’s got to be worth checking out. First Set now playing via Qobuz/Roon. :grinning:

Dave

Hi Clive
If you mean the Fontana vinyl set, I dont think it originally sold for as high as £198. I dont think I paid much more than £100 maybe 120 on first release
Good set though, worth having imo
:heart:

Yes, that’s the set - I suspected that Rough Trade had quoted the RRP, which is of course never the actual price, which was why I said apparently. Currently around £120 on Amazon so it’s still a good discount.

1 Like

A good young Russian trio.

2 Likes

Hi @Nick1940 , thanks for the Hod O’Brien hint. Just played the album; very nice !
Iver

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

47: Weather Report: Heavy Weather (Columbia)
There were many different incarnations of Weather Report during the fusion band’s 15-
year lifespan, but what gave them a unifying sense of continuity and cohesion was the
omnipresence of co-founders Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter. 1977’s Heavy Weather was
the group’s eighth album and their second with fretless bassist extraordinaire Jaco
Pastorius. Like Shorter and Zawinul, Pastorius was a gifted composer, and his tunes
‘Teen Town’, a funky vehicle for outrageous bass pyrotechnics, and ‘Havona’, a superb
ensemble piece, highlight his growing maturity as a jazz conceptualist. But it was
Zawinul’s chirpy opener, ‘Birdland’, that earned the most plaudits and became the
group’s most widely-known tune, spawning many cover versions. Arguably the most
perfect of Weather Report’s 14 studio albums, Heavy Weather remains one of the best
jazz albums of the fusion era.

Key song: ‘Birdland’

Enjoy

Dave

9 Likes

When it came out a couple of years ago (eagerly awaited) via the Universal website it was £200, with a 10% discount code giving £180, with courier charges on top of that. So that is a heck of a deal !

Very rainy today so plenty of time to listen. I started with these two today. Another member here pointed me to Hod O’Brien

3 Likes

Even though I have subsciptions to both Tidal and Qobuz, I still purchase albums from time to time. I bought these today through NativeDSD. The Patricia Barber album is not available in Tidal and Qobuz. It is a fantastic album
Iver

2 Likes

It is one of my favorite albums. Jones makes Holland play more traditional and Holland makes Jones play modern :grinning: :smiley:

4 Likes

My favourite local record shop (Hey Joe) opened today for the first time in months. I just had to pay him a visit and came away with some great vinyl. The lp I am playing now is the Dexter Gordon Quartet, Live in Chateauvallon 1978. This is a relatively new release. Great music and a great pressing.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Class guitar playing. On Concord vinyl.

5 Likes

CD player broken so we have returned to Spotify and Swingville.
A Bob Weinstock Prestige producer spin off.
Sounds beautiful. Measured performances although they sound to be having fun.
Clark Terry,Brit Woodman and brother Flanagan support one of the Duke’s forgotten tenor and clarinet players.
Restful.
N
On Q and T.

1 Like

I really like this album

11 Likes

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure

Andrew Hill – piano
Kenny Dorham – trumpet
Eric Dolphy – alto saxophone (1, 2, 3), bass clarinet (3, 4, 5), flute (3)
Joe Henderson – tenor saxophone (all), flute (3)
Richard Davis – double bass
Tony Williams – drums

Awesome album, high on my listening list, now high on my vinyl wishlist.

8 Likes