Jazz Music Thread

Dave

Absolutely recommended, this flows so nicely out of the speakers…

4 Likes

I do wish there was enough interest in this music to make cheering up the rather shabby sound of these sides financially worthwhile.
The SR big bands are all in my racks but never played because of the cd quality. Maynard Ferguson probably ruptured the microphones during recording.
Courts the Count. The suit would have been rejected.
The originals float like feathers these lumber along like the complete ostrich.
N

For Shorty Rogers in fine sonics, check out the Complete Atlantic set put out by Mosaic Records way back when. Lovely !

2 Likes

@Dynaudio1 @Cemil
Arrived this morning

:heart:

4 Likes

…but to me rather than being influenced I find it all a bit derivative and what @frenchrooster might call all been done before. Maybe I’m being unfair but I didnt really hear anything particularly new or refreshing in it, I just dont feel it.
But if it introduces a new audience I suppose…
:heart:

Masterful playing here.

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

1: Miles Davis: Kind Of Blue (Columbia)
Topping our list of the 50 best jazz albums ever is this timeless, transcendent classic from
the great Miles Davis. It celebrates its 60th birthday in 2019 but still sounds as cool and
hip as the day it was first recorded. The session found Miles leading an all-star sextet
that included saxophonists John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley, as well as rising
piano star Bill Evans. Here, Miles and his cohorts relinquish bebop’s febrile intensity for a
looser, relaxed vibe to create a series of extended grooves that came to define modal
jazz. The best-selling jazz album of all time, Kind Of Blue created a new musical language
that was hugely influential not only in the jazz world but for numerous rock and pop
musicians as well, assuring the album’s rightful place at the head of any list of the best
jazz albums in history.

Key song: ‘So What’

Enjoy

Dave

9 Likes

Recommended track: Endless

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Inventive sax/piano duets

Hi @bpou thanks for the Köln album recommendation by Andreas Schmid Quintet. Very attractive sound
Iver

5 Likes

One of my top favorite albums
Iver

1 Like

Hi all. I’m new to posting but have loved reading the commentary in this thread over the last year.
Being an Englishman in Sydney, I love all the UK jazz references that connect me to home.

Here is a couple of records that I have been enjoying recently on Tone Poet and Tidal:
First one is a great reissue from Scofield and Metheny - I can’t get enough of track 2: The Red One!

The other album is from a new(ish?) trio from a Norway, with an ECM-meets-ACT “is this jazz?” aesthetic…

I can see your house from here

Arne Torvik

Cheers,
Will

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum Will…

The Music Room is my favorite section of the forum having discovered so many great artists from the various threads. My favorite is the annual “What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested” which starts every January 1st and ends on December 31st.

Enjoy your time here and look forward to your future posts. The John Scofield & Pat Metheny album is wonderful…

1 Like

@Will-in-Aus If you’re a jazzman you’ve found the right thread. :grinning:

Listening to Arnvik Torvik Trio album. You’re comment regarding being an Englishman and Scandinavian Jazz reminded me of the Espen Eriksen Trio with Andy Sheppard Perfectly Unhappy album.

Dave

2 Likes

I enjoyed streaming that so often I purchased the cd.
My system just works better that way.
N

The Shorty Rogers is on the list.
I am hovering at the moment over the Gerry Mulligan concert band Mosaic.
Do you have this one?
N

I always thought this the best Gerry Mulligan Quartet.
Bob Brookmeyer the most fitting companion.
Sounds wonderful for a 1954 concert recording.
Nimage

2 Likes

Yes - it’s good. Bob Brookmeyer and his arrangements feature quite prominently, which leads then into his work with Thad Jones/Mel Lewis (also an outstanding Mosaic set).

I remember seeing Brookmeyer at Cheltenham in the mid-2000s, frail but playing with conviction. Must have been his last UK tour.

1 Like