Jazz Music Thread

MOV pressings are usually pretty decent ime (Record Industry I believe) sometimes sources can be questionable but they’ve done some very good releases that I’ve bought.
The Toots albums are all v good, SQ and pressing, sourced from HiRes digital but I dont have a problem with that.

Go on you know it makes sense :japanese_ogre:
:heart:

1 Like

Tone Poets theoretically aren’t limited releases but the more in demand titles can go out of stock quickly, I think they do get re pressed though.
The very first titles the last time I looked are still available (Chick Corea & Sam Rivers) if that’s any indication.
If you really only want to pick one, then I would agree with your choice of My Point Of View, imo the music is a bit more varied than Takin Off. The Tone Poet RTI pressing and package - quality gatefold Tip On sleeves with session photos make them easily worth the extra. When you’ve got a Tone Poet in hand the effort and quality that’s gone into producing them is palpably obvious.
Enjoy

Btw, if I may momentarily drift off Topic, if your interested MOV have/are releasing some great classic Reggae albums, not heard any other than the Toots as I have original vinyl, however based on my listening to those I’m going to further explore them in due course.
Kerchinggg! 20210428_091633

Marking pianist Jacky Terrasson’s 53rd birthday and 25 years since his eponymous debut for Blue Note, 2019 studio album, 53…

Streaming on Qobuz FLAC 96kHz 24bit.

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

Wes Montgomery inspired guitarist

2 Likes

Never heard of Bewith Records before (anyone?)

What an unbelievable record. From the wild cover to the iconic breakbeats, Roots from Ian Carr’s Nucleus is one of the dopest albums we know. This is seriously thick, funky-prog jazz-rock heaven

Under bandleader Carr, Nucleus existed as a fluid line-up of inventive, skilled musicians. This constant evolution and revolution was all part of the continuous musical exploration and discovery that took jazz to new levels.

Originally released on Vertigo in 1973, other than a couple of versions at the time, Roots was never re-pressed since so it’s gone on to become another one of those impossible to find records.

Maybe it was a little too out there for the time, but it’s aged very, very well indeed and this Be With re-issue, remastered from the original analogue tapes, shows off just why this deserves to be back in press.

This Be With edition of Roots has been re-mastered from the original Vertigo master tapes, Simon Francis’ mastering working together with Pete Norman’s cut to weave their usual magic with these wonderful recordings. The crazy cover has been restored at Be With HQ as the finishing touch to this long overdue re-issue.

2 Likes

The Best Jazz on Bandcamp: April 2021 | Bandcamp Daily

Dopest … inducing a feeling of intense joy or pleasure. He? Likes it.

But you might have known the word’s meaning.

Shows I read ‘em Dread.

N

1 Like

That’s quite a good Nucleus album - in an era when the band had a number of Aussies/Kiwis. If I remember rightly saxophonist Brian Smith contributes an NZ themed suite. Very enjoyable - and also in the Vertigo CD box set.

1 Like

This one also out today
Ian Carr - Belladonna – Vinyl LP/CD - Mr Bongo

I like it, your paying attention dude, have a gold star

Coincidentally Mrs Dread often calls me dope

1 Like

Fully agree @bpou ; the Cava Mendes album is very pleasant. Played it twice discovering new little things all the time !
Thanks gor recommending
Iver

Classy piano trio

1 Like

Kamasi Washington ‘Heaven and Earth’. This is a very strong album, although a bit over-produced I think and with those Star Trecky voices, which take a bit of getting used to. Some great solo work.

Excellent Freddie Hubbard tribute on ‘Hub-Tones’.

3 Likes

The wonderful Shorty Rogers, great tunes, great band

I dont get the fuss over Kamasi Washington, vastly over rated and over hyped in my opinion.
Foolishly I bought The Epic based on the hype and just didnt get it, the horridly compressed mastered for I tunes SQ doesn’t help either

The vinyl used to command quire a few bobs. Allan Holdsworth on guitar.

1 Like

I have a Vertigo of it - acquired before the 2nd hand prices took off. Fine album but I always get the feeling that Holdsworth gets let off the leash only on the last track (‘Hector’s House’, I think - great title from back in the day).

2 Likes

Yes, I was sceptical. Haven’t got ‘The Epic’ and it is true, compression isn’t the greatest. Having said that, ‘Heaven and Earth’ is a good album. Bebop it ain’t though.

People have mentioned influences from Pharoah Sanders, Alice Coltrane and the Jazz Crusaders (as well as hip hop of course) but to my mind there is a strong influence from 70s Julian Priester on ECM and perhaps ‘Mwandishi’ era Hancock.

1 Like

Christian McBride - The Q Sessions

CMB_TQS_13__1__400_400_s_c1

If you have Qobuz then you might want to give this new high resolution exclusive to Qobuz a listen. More information here:

The Q Sessions

Dave

3 Likes