Jazz Music Thread

I have an original - but would be interested to check out against the reissue.

1 Like

Sounds very good to me, mastered half speed by Miles Showell Abbey Rd. I know there are mixed views over his masterings, no problem here though, dont have an original but the re issue stands on it’s own merit. Nice replica gatefold and Vertigo swirl label.
I posted it here yesterday

:heart:

Vol 20 of the John Zorn ‘Tap’ series. Not unlike Metheny’s ‘Orchestrion’ projects.

Had a tiring day today, now listening to this with a nice glass of Bunnahabhain - now my troubles seem so far away !

Great cast ! -
Hank Mobley (s)
Wynton Kelly (p)
Paul Chambers (b)
Art Blakey (d)

10 Likes

Sorting and racking my jazz books.
This is a fine volume if you can still find it for a reasonable sum.
Our jazz heroes are asked to answer three questions.
Many intimate ‘snaps’ taken by the Baroness.image
N

4 Likes

Me too, great album.

1 Like

+1. [quote=“Ian, post:4199, topic:2050, full:true”]

Had a tiring day today, now listening to this with a nice glass of Bunnahabhain - now my troubles seem so far away !

Great cast ! -
Hank Mobley (s)
Wynton Kelly (p)
Paul Chambers (b)
Art Blakey (d)
[/quote]

The grooviest album ever made!

7 Likes

A NY mono vinyl pressing - without the moth-eaten cover on this picture. Fine album !

3 Likes

Ted Poor. Very, very special if you like drums and percussion in jazz. Track 4 called “To Rome” is extremely deep and 3d soundstage; often used for system auditioning Very recommended

Iver

1 Like

I had this album on vinyl in the “old” days but still sounds as good streaming on Qobuz. A particular highlight is a great version of Weather Report’s Birdland.

Dave

4 Likes

Another rummage in the old fashioned jazz on line bins.
Early Warren can sound a little like the third cornet from the Black Dyke Mills brass band but here admirably bossed about by John Bunch.
Warren getting his chops together not often you hear Strutting with some barbecue and All blues on one cd. Let down a little by RVG and his piano or recording of it.
For £1.50 what’s not to like.
All old men need a little romance in their lives (about five mins a month at my age).
Nice accompaniment. Frank Wess. Piano sounds fine. She was a bit of a sad old sausage.
N

1 Like

Thanks to you and Richard I purchased a copy.
Unless you want the ‘hip’ titles the older Mosaics are now quite good value.
Another addiction I have to fight.:pleading_face:
Nimage

5 Likes

Classy and melodic.

1 Like

Bud Powell In Paris / 2013 Reprise / EU version of Japan CD / 8122796419

Great recording from one of the pioneers of modern jazz, originally released in 1963.

1 How High The Moon
2 Dear Old Stockholm
3 Body And Soul
4 Jor-du
5 Reets And I
6 Satin Doll
7 Parisian Thoroughfare
8 I Can’t Get Started With you
9 Little Benny
10 Indiana (Back Home Again In)
11 B-Flat Blues

Bud Powell Piano
Gilbert Rovere Bass
Carl Donnell ‘Kansas Fields’ Drums
Duke Ellington Producer

3 Likes

@Richard thanks for the JazzCode album! Really nice one
Iver

1 Like

Two newly released albums that are enjoyable
Iver

2 Likes

I enjoyed the Vincent Herring.
From the same stable.

I have long thought Eric a fine pianist and entertainer.
The young saxophone player on this cd is a revelation to me.
I got so fed up with endless Coltrane imitators that I left the subject alone. But we seem to have reached a stage where JC is being pushed gently to one side and more benign influences are coming into play.
My first hour with Eric.
Probably on Q. I didn’t check but on Spot.
N
Makes a change from my usual adulation of the dead or dying jazz artists.

4 Likes

This one is boogieing away very nicely on the CD555. Saw the guys live back in 2000-001 ish and they put on a great show. Their popularity was well deserved.

6 Likes

I like Ack’s album for Mood Records done in the early 1980s, plus his work with the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble.

1 Like

I believe this compilation album was released shortly after the untimely death of pianist Esbjorn Svensson but doesn’t seem to be available for streaming on Qobuz.
I have a few of their albums and heard them live a couple of times.
The hauntingly, beautiful Believe, Beleft, Below is a special favourite.
The Very Best Of is a good introduction to their music.
Dave

1 Like