Jazz Music Thread

(Coming out of) Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

20: Charlie Parker: Complete Savoy And Dial Studio Recordings (Concord)
Together with trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie, Kansas City-born alto saxophonist Parker began
a jazz revolution in the mid-40s when he created a new sound that was dubbed bebop.
With jaw-dropping displays of virtuosity combined with advanced harmonies and
syncopated rhythms, Parker helped to alter the perception of jazz, transforming it from
dance music into a serious art form. Most of his seminal recordings came out as singles
for the Savoy and Dial labels in the 40s and they can be found on this 2000 compilation,
which offers a vivid snapshot of bebop’s glory years. It captures Parker at the peak of his
powers before heroin addiction blighted his career.

Key song: ‘Now’s The Time’

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Watching the excellent Muhammad Ali: A Life in Ten Pictures documentary on BBC2 last night and recognised India, from John Coltrane’s Impressions album, was used in the background music…

51KA7OW8mEL.AC

or alternatively…

51WOf5mhBpL

Dave

8 Likes

Worth a twirl. SD concert from a famous venue.
Reminds me of Frank Morgan but not quite so halting.
Substantial accompaniment.
N

4 Likes

Any one who has spent time listening and supporting British Jazz musicians will I am sure be saddened by the death of Len Skeat.
Made 84 so you did well old timer.

Digby Fairweather obit in the Guardian
N

2 Likes

Very enjoyable Francy Boland from 1978 on MPS.

1 Like

A very fine musician.
Check him here with Jim Mullen and Brian Dee;

3 Likes

Thanks for that @Christian
Used to watch Morrissey Mullen regularly down at the Half Moon in Putney, so a great trip down memory lane for me.
Sad about Len, he was a stalwart of the scene and regularly on BBC Sounds of Jazz in the late 70s early 80s when they used to record live sessions at the Maida Vale studios. Miss all that.

3 Likes

Indeed. Those were the days when you actually had live jazz on the telly.

2 Likes

A lovely reminder. Wonderful facial expressions. I am sure he used to talk to the bass whilst playing.
Brian Dee another favourite who I would like to hear again.
Jim a mere youngster.
Thanks.
N

Brian Dee too also a regular on ‘Sounds of Jazz’. By coincidence, I saw Len Skeat and Brian Dee about 5 years ago as part of a Billie Holliday tribute which included Alan Barnes.

2 Likes

I remember one early 80s gig at Ronnie Scott’s where they were filming Woody Herman and the camera was literally at my back, for a 30 minute show within a show. It went out live and I never saw it - nor to my knowledge has it ever been rebroadcast !

1 Like

Yet another excellent piece by Richard Williams from his bluemoment blog - Wes Montgomery and (unknown to me) Martial Solal

3 Likes

The Wes Montgomery NDR Hamburg Studio Recordings album, referenced in the article, now streaming on Qobuz via Roon…

Also see @GeoffC’s post…

Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

6 Likes

Continuing the Wes Montgomery groove…

Dave

13 Likes

Pat Metheny’s favourite album (apparently).

1 Like

And I think on physical formats from Resonance?
:heart:

Incredible Jazz Guitar

:heart:

9 Likes

Oh yes, this is good. Released this week
Iver

3 Likes

Was anyone able to compare the sound quality of the half-speed remaster with the original ? If so, I’d love to hear your comments.

1 Like

I did too - we might have bumped into each other !