Jazz Music Thread

Given the weather rocking my cab whilst driving along the Sussex coast I thought this rather fitting

Johnny Griffin- A Blowing Session (Blue Note 1957)

AllMusic Review by Al Campbell

A Blowin’ Session is one of the greatest hard bop jam sessions ever recorded; it is filled with infectious passion and camaraderie. It’s also the only time tenor saxophonists Johnny Griffin and John Coltrane would play together on record. Initially Coltrane wasn’t scheduled to be on this date, but Griffin saw him on his way to Rudy Van Gelder’s studio and asked him to join the remaining musicians, third tenor Hank Mobley, trumpeter Lee Morgan, pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers, and drummer Art Blakey. These musicians were all associates within the same East Coast hard bop scene of the time; they came from the Jazz Messengers and Miles Davis’ quintet, and many had played with Dizzy Gillespie’s big band. Showcased on this April 8, 1957, session are two standards, “The Way You Look Tonight” and “All the Things You Are,” along with two original Griffin compositions, “Ball Bearing” and “Smoke Stack.” (An added bonus on the 1999 Rudy Van Gelder remastered edition is an alternate take of “Smoke Stack.”) Of special note is “The Way You Look Tonight,” featuring the three tenors trading off with complexity and speed that is still astonishing, especially in the case of Griffin (dubbed the world’s fastest saxophonist) and Coltrane’s ability to navigate complex chord changes over a fast tempo
:heart:

2 Likes

A 1997 Chick Corea album featuring, at the time, the rising next generation celebrating the music of the great bebop pianist Bud Powell…

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

The Blue Note RVG Edition streaming on Qoduz via Roon…

71CNkfNDFyL.SS500

Dave

5 Likes

Amazingly, first time I have heard this soundtrack on CD, although I saw the film when it came out. Very nice.

Dexter got an Oscar nomination as best supporting actor, I recall. He should have won !

7 Likes

If you play vinyl and like Jazz. Do check this Speakers Corner pressing of Shape Of Jazz To Come
Lovely Pallas pressing, mastered by Kevin Gray who’s done an amazing job on what is a 62 year old master tape.
Reasonably priced too

The music of course is brilliant and pretty much essential imo

8 Likes

Just picked up a Johnny Griffin (the swinging Johnny Griffin) album at a local antique store on vinyl, sounds pretty good.
Tim

1 Like

3 Likes

Lovely !
Iver

4 Likes

Agreed! :grinning:

As is the companion to an earlier album you recommended featuring Andrea Pozza…

417vvkttd8L

Dave

4 Likes

Just pre ordered. Available in 5 days. 24/96.

2 Likes

@jazzman22 oh yes, that one is nice as well !!!
Iver

1 Like

Probably one of my favourite Impulse label recordings

Oliver Nelson Sextet - Blues And The Abstract Truth (1995 GRP/Impulse Beer Mat)

Oliver Nelson,Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, George Barrow, Bill Evan’s, Paul Chambers, Roy Haynes, produced by Creed Taylor
Cushty!

AllMusic Review by Michael G. Nastos

As Oliver Nelson is known primarily as a big band leader and arranger, he is lesser known as a saxophonist and organizer of small ensembles. Blues and the Abstract Truth is his triumph as a musician for the aspects of not only defining the sound of an era with his all-time classic “Stolen Moments,” but on this recording, assembling one of the most potent modern jazz sextets ever. Lead trumpeter Freddie Hubbard is at his peak of performance, while alto saxophonists Nelson and Eric Dolphy (Nelson doubling on tenor) team to form an unlikely union that was simmered to perfection. Bill Evans (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Roy Haynes (drums) can do no wrong as a rhythm section. “Stolen Moments” really needs no comments, as its undisputable beauty shines through in a three-part horn harmony fronting Hubbard’s lead melody. It’s a thing of beauty that is more timeless as the years pass. The “Blues” aspect is best heard on “Yearnin’,” a stylish, swinging, and swaying downhearted piece that is a bluesy as Evans would ever be. Both “Blues” and “Abstract Truth” combine for the darker “Teenie’s Blues,” a feature for Nelson and Dolphy’s alto saxes, Dolphy assertive in stepping forth with his distinctive, angular, dramatic, fractured, brittle voice that marks him a maverick. Then there’s “Hoedown,” which has always been the black sheep of this collection with its country flavor and stereo separated upper and lower horn in snappy call-and-response barking. As surging and searing hard boppers respectively, “Cascades” and “Butch & Butch” again remind you of the era of the early '60s when this music was king, and why Hubbard was so revered as a young master of the idiom. A must buy for all jazz fans, and a Top Ten or Top Fifty favorite for many.

6 Likes

A quick shout out to anyone baulking at the price of the lovely 4LP box set.

Price drop to £121.99 at Juno records, I think it’s worth it when you see the package/presentation

Impulse Records: Music Message And The Moment

@Dreadatthecontrols « The Blues and the Abstract Truth » is indeed brilliant. Thanks for reminding; I have it in my library but hadn’t played it for a while
Iver

1 Like

Of course taste is personal, but this one is so much worth a listen. Brilliantly recorded as well; sounds absolutely stunning on my system with so much PRaT and detail !!
Iver

12 Likes

also from the same period…

Enjoy

Dave

8 Likes

Déjà vu. :wink: :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

Time for some current post-bop British jazz…

51HZlZh+boL.AC_SY355

Enjoy

Dave

1 Like

Enjoying another Andrea Pozza album…

Streaming on Qobuz via Roon.

Dave

3 Likes

Continuing the Ben Webster love in
1959 Coleman Hawkins Encounters…
Same period similar line up to the above offerings with Ray Brown, Alvin Stoller, Herb Ellis, Oscar Peterson

R-1459640-1495308073-5207.jpeg

7 Likes