Jazz Music Thread

Found this on Tidal the other day, quite enjoying it.
Tim
Cedar Walton VIP Trio

3 Likes

If you have Qobuz I found this new playlist yesterday. Really good introduction to the new London Jazz scene.

1 Like

You have that one too

1 Like

Try this…
Various Artists - We Out Here (Brownswood)

:heart:

1 Like

Intense Scandi avant garde Jazz with a purpose, “free” but still powerfully musical.

Angles - Every Woman Is A Tree

The review says it all…

Mark Corrotto All About Jazz .com;

Good can triumph over evil. It’s just that evil is just so well organized by the political parties, oil corporations, and media conglomerates that the voice of dissent is often overshadowed. Like Woody Guthrie or Charles Mingus utilizing music to protest the sins of their time, today, bubbling in between the cracks of popular culture is the requisite dissent to war, racism, nazism, and imperialistic hate. Enter the Scandinavian sextet Angles with a true gem of a live recording.

All six tracks were written by saxophonist Martin Küchen, who also penned the liner notes which explain the wordless compositions. Küchen, a member of Exploding Customer with Kjell Nordeson, plays with a such a searing power, there is no need for lyrics to explain his protest music. This post-bop approach is born from the spirit of Mingus. The players, trumpeter Magnus Broo and drummer Kjell Nordeson (AALY Trio), are certainly familiar to listeners and fans of Chicagoan Ken Vandermark’s projects and both can be heard on the Atomic/School Days session Distil (Okka).

The disc opens with the processional “Peace Is Not For Us” with Nordeson rolling thunder beneath the marching lines of Berthling’s bass. Run! The troops are coming! is the ominous feel as Mats Äleklint’s trombone covers the battleground. “My World of Mines” marches also with a funky groove, matched by some tight horn arrangements. When the piece breaks into solos, it’s Mattias Ståhl’s vibraphone that tears through a powerful statement, enough so, to quiet his playing partners. The Eastern feel of “The Indispensable Warlords” is a great vehicle for Küchen’s muscular saxophone to be heard. Part wail and part siren, he rivets your ears to his call. The title track doubles the intensity, not only with a relentless African groove, but with more scorching solos.

Track Listing

Peace Is Not For Us; Don’t Ruin Me; My World of Mines; Every Woman is a Tree; The Indispensable Warlords; Let’s Talk About the Weather (And Not About the War).

Personnel

Martin Küchen: alto saxophone; Magnus Broo: trumpet; Mats Äleklint: trombone; Mattias Ståhl: vibraphone; Johan Berthling: double bass; Kjell Nordeson: drums.

1 Like

My favourite band to hear live. Derek now lives locally and is not lacking in self promotion so further opportunities await.
Wonderful musicians that always seem to enjoy themselves and the enthusiasm spills over to the audience.
Can’t wait.Good club night clip on YouTube from Fleecejazz. I was there but not featured.
N

1 Like

Yep got that favourited. :+1:

1 Like

Agree, it’s great. Really enjoying the new Sons of Kemet album by the way. Superb

2 Likes

Personally I found the new SOK album disappointing, I have their first 3 albums and the brilliant solo Theon Cross - Fyah. After those Black To The Future just sounds like more of the same, a band treading water. Not taking anything away from the narrative of BLM, George Floyd etc but the spoken word, rap and noodling on this compared to the previous albums to me just sounds musically lame.
Just my view of course

2 Likes

This one on Acrobat is a pretty fine selection of early Decca and Fontana tracks, with the usual good Spillett booklet notes.

@narcom thanks for recommending « Somerregn » !! Beautiful
Iver

1 Like

Happy 95’s birthday Miles :clap:
What is yours favorite record?

6 Likes

• quite a few others !
8 Likes

Great playing and great sound.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Thank you, very good!

4 Likes

Streaming…
Two albums originally released on Atlantic in '57 & '61 (according to discogs)
Milt Jackson & Ray Charles - Soul Brothers and Soul Meeting
20210527_133505

AllMusic Review by Cub Koda

…two albums that Milt Jackson made with Ray Charles for Atlantic in 1957 and 1958. With Oscar Pettiford, Connie Kay, and Kenny Burrell in the various lineups, this is bluesy jazz in a laid-back manner; it surprised many hardcore R&B fans when these albums were originally issued. Jackson moves from vibes to piano, and even guitar (on “Bag’s Guitar Blues”), while Ray jumps between piano and alto sax on these sessions. A rare glimpse of Charles’ jazz soul coming up for air.

Various streaming options with variable SQ, nevertheless good music and unusual with the rarely heard (to me) Ray Charles on Alto Sax
The top is the Atlantic 2CD stream but I think this one has better SQ
20210527_135648

2 Likes