Jazz Music Thread

It is good - the release has apparently been authorised by the Warren Estate. Quite different in style to Rendell/Carr and very much a Guy Warren Africa-influenced album.

Sound quality excellent. Just a shame that they couldn’t fully duplicate the rear cover and Garrod & Lofthouse flipback, although Guy Warren’s ‘enthusiastic’ sleeve notes are included.

Yes, the Jazzman reissues really nailed it with the replica sleeve and homage inners and labels. RTA haven’t quite managed to reach this bar, although they have done marginally better here than Vocalion did with Joe Harriott and Amancio D’Silva’s Hum Dono LP reissue. Speaking of Hum Dono, undoubtedly one of the very finest jazz albums to come out of the UK, this would easily make my all time jazz top ten.

Trying to widen my Jazz range and enjoying Kamsai Washington ‘Heaven and Earth’ and ‘The Epic’.

It’s big band, but not as we know it. Jim.

G

8 Likes

Saw Chick at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival and was really amazed at his ability (despite his age) and so I bought this triple CD straight after - I think for only £10! This is an excellent recording, so I will revisit this again very soon.

1 Like

A bit of a miracle that ‘Hum Dono’ got a vinyl reissue by Dutton Vocalion and a very welcome reissue it was. Equally good was the Amancio D’Silva ‘Integration’ on that Trunk offshoot label. Sonically these are not quite up there with the Columbias but really not too far off and at about 1/100th the price of a good copy, if you can find one, something of a bargain.

There is so much to explore and enjoy. Check out recordings on Atlantic Jazz, Impulse and Blue Note labels. The sound quality on many recordings from the 50s and 60s is outstanding. I’d also recommend buying the Penguin guide, which will inform your journey.

1 Like

I do rather hope that Jazzman try to get permission to reissue more of the Lansdowne Series LPs. Top of my wish list are William Russo and The London Jazz Orchestra with Stonehenge, Mike Taylor’s Pendulum and Trio, and Neil Ardley & co’s Greek Variations.

Incredible that the two Mike Taylors have yet to make it out on reissue vinyl. Those two will sell out in milli-seconds the moment that becomes reality.

‘Stonehenge’ is also an undeserved obscurity. Also well worthy of vinyl reissue are the ‘Russo in London’ and the two Arman Ratip LPs.

That Penguin Guide (various editions) has cost me a great deal of money over the years !

1 Like

Me too! I even have several editions of that guide, which I have spent many happy hours poring over.

1 Like

I’m also a bit of a Jazz novice and my taste a bit less eclectic than some on here but you could do a lot worse than this

There is another release ‘Memories’ recorded at the same concert which is equally as good. I’m a great lover of Chet’s music especially the last ten years before he sadly died in 1988 when he just seemed to get better and better and recapture and improve on his very early years during the mid to late fifties.
Any of his output on SteepleChase is worth buying especially the live Chet Baker Trio series with Niels Henning OP and Doug Chaney.

4 Likes

I really enjoy this original Miles Davis Quintet the line up of Philly Joe Jones (drums), Paul Chambers (bass), Red Garland (piano) and John Coltrane (Sax) is one of the finest jazz groups assembled.

16 Likes

Another fantastic LP from the same quintet. This is my quite rare Australian 1st press on Coronet sounds lovely.

12 Likes

I love the octagonal label on that Coronet LP.

2 Likes

I would recommend this recent album from Joshua Redman, a modern but very accessible album…

6 Likes

Thanks Hollow - this is a great tip.
Loads of great classic and contemorary stuff on those ECM playlists on Tidal.

3 Likes

Just found a Tidalplaylist called Blue Note 80.
A mix of classic jazz and contemporary tracks.
I enjoyed one by a group called R+R=NOW…

That looks interesting. Chick Corea had a band about that time(?) called Circle. They did an acoustic album called ‘Circling in’, you may know it of course. I have it on vinyl. Superb album, worth it just for the bass virtuoso Miroslav Vitous

I won this LP along with a six eye Columbia mono copy of Miles Davis live at the Blackhawk the double LP with vol 1 & 2 for less than £7 on eBay I have no idea why I was the only bidder. The Coronet vinyl is VG+ but the cover only a VG but still a very, very rare record and with between £65 and £75 the Blackhawk six eye is not as good a copy the vinyl is G+/VG but still very playable after a good clean and the cover is a VG.
I have a Mofi copy of ‘Round About Midnight’ and the Coronet is better a beautiful rich sound if you can obtain an original 1st or early pressing when it comes to 50’s and 60’s Jazz I would always go for that.

2 Likes

Morning of 55th birthday.
breakfast in bed - porridge, fruit salad, cup of tea, few soggy flowers from garden.
Now listening to Art Blakey ‘Moanin’
It never Sounded so good :blush:

10 Likes