Jazz Music Thread

I like this trio a lot. She is so a good jazz pianist.

1 Like

Competition…

Released in December 2017 comprising the following albums:
• Big Band Bossa Nova
• Jazz Samba
• Jazz Samba Encore!
• Getz/Gilberto
• Getz/Almeida

:smiley:

Dave

2 Likes

More from the outfield.

Bud was a be bop pioneer out of the Earl Hines band. Working with Billy Eckstine and Dizzy’s first big band.
You can hear where Sonny Rollins started. Although SR is harmonically more adventurous the sound is very similar.
Brother Keg was a big band musician.
Piano and bass we know well. Flanagan and Duvivier.
Persip’s palsied drumming is at times an annoyance (to me).
His only Qobuz listing.
N

1 Like

Nice competition :grinning: Most of those albums you pointed out are in the collection I recommended before. The only real difference is the absence of Getz/Almeida. However both are great and very enjoyable collections!

3 Likes

You’ve started at the wrong end of the stick :slight_smile: This is quite challenging stuff for most people, including jazz lovers.

Mingus is a genius and is probably / arguably the most important jazz composer after Ellington. For me, later Ellington conjures images of the concert hall whereas Mingus brings the carnival atmosphere in my house. It’s raucous, noisy, roots, gutsy, funny, angry, exciting, exhausting …When listening to him, I find myself picturing being in a carnival like party where people interact, joke, laugh, sing together, holler, get angry and fight, shove each other, hug each other, get into arguments, shout, have repartees - appeals to your gut mostly.

Having said that, Mingus is also capable of astonishingly delicate music of breathtaking beauty (eg Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Self-Portrait in 3 colors etc…)

I wouldn’t give up on Mingus, but I would start much earlier than you did. Try Blues & Roots, “Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus” (that’s Mingus x 5), and Mingus Ah Um. They are more accessible. If you like those, you can work your way through other of his material.

2 Likes

Forthcoming from Jazz In Britain
Joe Harriott - Formation Live 1961

Good to see fellow JA bassist Coleridge Goode on this along with Phil Seamen, Pat Smythe and Les Condon

:heart:

1 Like

I often heard them at the Marquee in Oxford Street.
Usual trumpet was Shake Keen.
Les was more your traditional bopper. I went searching for him in Google-land.His embrochure collapsed after dental work and he retired.Sad.

Sharp suited in the usual hip manner of the day.( Peter Vache Guardian obit.) Oh yes. That was us.
N

2 Likes

Talking of Shake Keane - new book out

2 Likes

Thanks for the post Cemil - from what you say I think I can take the fact I don’t dislike the album as a good thing…I didn’t find the music off putting, just trying to find my feet with it.
I will follow up on your suggestions, much appreciated and thaks for taking the time to think about it for me.

1 Like

You pay your money and take your choice. :grinning:

Even better, if you have Qobuz streaming both collections are available.

Music lovers have never had it so good.

Dave

1 Like

Bottom right on the river.

1 Like

@adeypoos You’re a star!

Found the album on Qobuz.

Drowning in nostalgia. :smiley:

Many thanks.

Dave

1 Like

You’re welcome. Been eying this set myself.
£9.99 for 8 albums seems ridiculous!

The collection contains some great albums. Apart from the occassional glitch the sound is quite good.

The Label info is stated as Enlightenment which is “gray area” releases. Certainly the transfers won’t be from the original Verve masters.

Cheap but buyer beware. :smiley:

Dave

1 Like

Posted these on the vinyl thread, out today the first two titles from The British Jazz Explosion series

2 Likes

Following an interesting exchange with @Dynaudio1 re the above I stumbled on these (audio missing for the first minute of the first clip)
Thought it might interest some followers of this thread

1 Like

saw the Joe Morello clip on the youtube clip thread.
Stunning drumming, so I think this may be my best way in to the rarified realms of Jazz enjoyment.

My copy of Space Walk has just arrived. Nice to see a proper flip back sleeve Like Jazzman did with the Rendell/Carr reissues.

I’ll have to wait for Journeys in Modern Jazz as I ordered it along with a few other LPs, one of which is not yet out, and they’ll all be shipped together.

2 Likes

Indeed, as I said before if these are anything like those Jazzman Landsdownes we should be in for a treat.
Please Optimal dont balls this up! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Getting in training for tomorrow with this one and good to be reminded how fine it is. Covering much of the same ground as the Decca compilation but equally good.

This is the CD version of Vol 1 starting off with Michael Garrick ‘First Born’. First time spun on the CD555 - bonus !

Wish list for Decca:

Neil Ardley ‘Western Reunion’, ‘Greek Variations’
Mike Taylor ‘Trio’ and ‘Pendulum’
Ronnie Ross ‘Cleopatra’s Needle’
All of the Garrick Argos
Anything by Stan Tracey…
Chitinous Ensemble

3 Likes