Jazz Music Thread

Great smooth jazz.

2 Likes

Just picked up a copy of this one. A real RSD sleeper, very nice and unexpected as to how good it is. Sound is fab too.

I guess it qualifies as jazz ?!

Jazz vocalist Cyrille Aimée uses rhythm and sonics to recast familiar tunes in her own image…

Credits

• Acoustic Bass – Dylan Shamat
  • Acoustic Guitar – Adrien Moignard
  • Drums – Dani Danor
  • Electric Guitar – Michael Valeanu
  • Vocals, Loops [Boss RC-505 Loop Station] – Cyrille Aimée

Released 2018

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Brilliant. Period
Iver

2 Likes

It starts with a ‘Wha’ and ends with an ‘oof’.

5 Likes

@IvdZ A great album but we are in area of “gray market” releases again. There are 18 versions of this album on Qobuz. The majority of the time I think we should only be considering records released by the label that recorded them, in this case Verve…

or

Dave

7 Likes

Hey @jazzman22 thanks for the guidance. I did not know that. For example: how can I sort out what is the exact original album when I get a list of versions selecting something. You just seem to know it is Verve, but I don’t. Can you explain how you sorted our it was Verve?
Iver

I stream Qobuz within Roon. The Release Information is under Credits:

Hope this helps?

Dave

1 Like

Hey @jazzman22 , oh yes that helps definitely. I have seen all that additional metadata but in all honesty I don’t always check it. I have both Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions. Since I consider stopping Tidal, I typically go to the versions-section of an album and choose a Qobuz version with the highest release. Probably not a best practice. I will check the release info a little more often but can’t guarantee I make another mistake in the future :slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you for your advice and for the great stuff you post in this thread. I benefit a lot from that.

Iver

1 Like

Continuing in the same groove…

AllMusic Review by Alex Henderson

Milt Jackson was 38 when, in December 1961, he co-led this superb hard-bop date with the distinctive guitarist Wes Montgomery. A jazzman who was as opinionated as he was gifted, Jackson wouldn’t hesitate to tell you exactly what he thought of a musician – so when he praised Montgomery, you knew his praise was genuine. Not surprisingly, the boppers prove to be quite compatible on Bags Meets Wes, which finds them co-leading an all star-quintet that also includes pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Sam Jones, and drummer Philly Joe Jones (who shouldn’t be confused with swing drummer Jo Jones). Although Jackson and Montgomery prove what lyrical ballad players they could be on the standard “Stairway to the Stars,” ballads aren’t a high priority on this album. Instead, the improvisers put more of their energy into the blues – and the 12-bar format serves them well on “Sam Sack,” “Blue Roz,” and “S.K.J.” Equally strong are hard-swinging versions of Montgomery’s “Jingles” and Benny Golson’s “Stablemates.”

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

Two bright, shiny gems found in my patch of the jazz playground and listened to over and over.

Authoritative Hawk,Lyrical and fiery Buck, bit of Bob’s growly trombone but mainly for Pee Wee.
Quirky and wheezy. A character whose life is worth reading about.
He also appeared on the NewPort festival Miles and Monk disc playing with Thelonious.
On Qobuz.
N

1 Like

Hey @bpou , I tried Giovanni Mazzarino; thanks for recommending. The “Love Vibrations” album is very, ver nice. I enjoyed it

Iver

1 Like

Have done a quick check with the first 2 tracks on side 1 of this one against the original Columbia issue. Both very good - the reissue a bit more top end prominence and a bit narrower soundstage I think, more clinical. Wider soundstage, somewhat hotter sound and more shimmer/reverb on the Columbia, which is noticeable on Peter Shade’s vibes.

Hope that helps the question raised a few days ago.

2 Likes

yes, very good indeed.

1 Like

Beautiful Swedish melancholy.

3 Likes

@Blackbird listening as we speak !! As you said; very melancholic. Nice
Iver

1 Like

:+1:

My favourite album - Albert Collins and John Zorn, Bill Frisell, Bobby Previte, Big John Patton, Wayne Hovitz, et al.

Albert is playing and singing his ass off, obviously having a great time with this crazy gang.

3 Likes

this also rocks…

2 Likes

Afro-soul Jazz. Released this weeks and probably one of the most pleasant surprises I heart over the last month. Absolutely worth a listen if you are into the genre. Superbly recorded as well. Sax is splendid

What a nice surprise!

Iver

2 Likes