Jazz Music Thread

Yes thanks and I’ll keep an eye out for Chant I have some Tone Poet reissues, Born to Be Blue, Cornbread and Chet Baker sings all excellent quality I also have the Cassandra Wilson one which I’ve only skipped through so far.

I’ve found that if you wait a while the Tone Poet releases do come down in price a bit.

Well said. An original 1st press copy of Lee Morgan’s Cornbread for instance in mint condition would cost far more than I’m prepared to pay so the Tone Poet reissue allows me to own a very good playable copy for £25. What’s not to like?

1 Like

Exactly! It blows my mind that people would gripe about wow/flutter on ancient tapes and suggest a campaign to get Blue Note to remaster/repress “corrected” versions (and yes, I have seen posts suggesting just that). :roll_eyes:

Maybe they spend too much time using records to listen to their systems, and have forgotten about using their systems to listen to records.

Not my favourite record of his but
Joined by Hank Mobley, Herbie Hancock, Jackie Mclean, Billy Higgins and Larry Ridley the incredibly talented Lee Morgan playing four of his own compositions.
Tone Poet reissue.

4 Likes

100% correct and it’s an easy trap to fall down.

1 Like

I just got the new reissue of Ahmad Jamal Trio At the Pershing from Analogue Productions, and it is excellent! The music is great and the remastering of it is superb. I think this has to be one of my favorite acquisitions of recent memory.

6 Likes

R-3932317-1349760735-9922.jpeg

Ahmad Jamal - Complete Live At The Pershing

Gambit Records issued all 19 tracks from the Pershing engagements on one CD, bringing before the public a body of work that two generations of jazz heads had gathered piecemeal on Argo and Chess LPs or various partial CD reissues.

On Qobuz.

2 Likes

The 45rpm vinyl release has absolutely amazing sound. It’s as if they’re in your room.

I agree with you - the TP releases are great, and generally sound great too. One has to make allowance for the quality of the master tapes sometimes.

1 Like

@PatM - thanks for posting that, a real pretty one!

Looking at my Donald Byrd collection I found this little gem on Qobuz a shelved album that should have sat between Electric Byrd and Ethiopian Nights 1969/1970. Beautiful and hard to believe why music of this quality wasn’t released.

7 Likes

Probably because it more of a Duke Pearson project and didn’t sit comfortably within Byrd’s increasingly ‘electric’ direction. Also towards the end of Francis Wolff’s era at Blue Note - a lot of good sessions in that era by the likes of Hank Mobley and John Patton got shelved.

‘Kofi’ came out in the 90s in that ‘Rare Groove’ series, which is when I picked it up on CD and then vinyl.

2 Likes

Great comments thanks.

1 Like

No problem.

The new remastered edition. Never better.

3 Likes

Kohashi & Kaptein - Dualtone
Just piano and drums in a very engaging duet.

1 Like

I think it was the general jazz police snobbery at the time towards so called “Soul Jazz”
:thinking:

1 Like

Glad to see that, while society is currently under heavy manners due to Covid lockdown, this doesnt seem to have interrupted the Tone Poet release schedule.
This dropped this morning thanks to the Royal Mail and Juno records.
I’ve had it on CD for years but have been eagerly awaiting this one on Tone Poet vinyl.
Ellington, Mingus, Roach this is one cool classic album.
After chilling in the current bun this afternoon this is going to get welded to the LP12

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

And the Tone Poet pressings and covers are so good

1 Like

I dont have many albums with Donald Byrd as leader but of the few I’ve heard Slow Drag is my favourite. I have it on RVG Edition CD which despite the general dislike of that series by audiophiles sounds pretty good to me. Haven’t found a decent used LP, hopefully one that might make the Tone Poet series (BN80 has ended).
I probably ought to check out Ethiopian Knights.
The double LP Best Of The Jazz Soul Years is good fun

:sunglasses:

6 Likes

That ‘Slow Drag’ is a Tone Poet I would buy, if it ever came out. Agree that the RVG CD was excellent.

1 Like