Jazz Music Thread

@Dreadatthecontrols - I love the Commodore recordings too (I have the 1988 CD) but all Billie (to be honest)

1 Like

Being rather a novice Jazz fan I’m enjoying this compilation.

4 Likes

I’ve not posted for a while but was inspired to do so by some of the excellent Jazz music that’s been posted since I’ve been away.

James Allsopp Quartet - I’m a Fool To Want You

Impossible Ark Records limited edition of 300.

R-8228255-1457538840-8486.jpeg

Noya Rao - Icaros

Gondwana Records

Is this Jazz? Well I found them on the Jazz refreshed youtube channel.

Lee Konitz (RIP) - Motion. 1961 NYC, Polygram. Playing the 1998 3 CD Verve Elite Edition with the extra tracks with drummer Nick Stabulas. The original issue with extra tracks is on CD 1 with drummer Elvin Jones. Sonny Dallas played bass. Nice.

3 Likes

This album always blows me away – Ella and Louis by the incomparable Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.

11 Likes

I need to pull this out. I have the AP 45RPM version as an original subscriber to the Verve 45 series. I haven’t listened to it since I first got it. Thanks for posting it.

Those socks and pants though. LOL

1 Like

My favourite Lee.

1 Like

Some really groovy Jazz/Jazz Funk from Donald Byrd - Ethiopian Kights. Just puts a smile on my face :smile:

6 Likes

Brilliant album - everything of Don’s around that period is stellar and worth exploration.

1 Like

My favorite Donald Byrd is from his earlier Blue Note period, especially the albums with Pepper Adams on baritone.

I just can’t wrap my head around the funky electric 70s Blue Note stuff. Most of the fusion jazz is not my cup of tea either. :man_shrugging:

Great live Jazz

9 Likes

Totally agree on both counts. A New Perspective is a great record and though it doesn’t have the excellent Pepper Adams there are a few excellent musicians in his place.

As for funky electric 70’s Blue Note recordings it’s not my come of tea at all either and always sounds and feels a bit naff it’s neither electric funk or Jazz and did nothing to enhance either genre or the musicians involved.

Jazz Fusion can be a bit more interesting and though I do not own any or listen to it very much some of it does at least create something new and did push the boundaries back a bit.

6 Likes

There is some great jazz fusion. Chick Core’s Return to Forever on ECM, the early Weather Report albums and various others. But so much of it just feels like commercial sell-out to me, and that gave rise to smooth jazz, which I just cannot stomach at all. Many of the fusion musicians ultimately returned to more traditional, but evolved forms.

If you haven’t heard it yet another Byrd/Adams collaboration was released not long ago on the Tone Poet Blue Note reissue project with the album Chant, and it also features Herbie Hancock. Joe Harley has done a great job with the Tone Poets. Check the releases if you haven’t done so already.

2 Likes

That 3CD ‘Motion’ set is excellent. In fact, pretty well all of that Verve Elite CD series is. Bought a whole load of them when they were still in print - some really obscure gems.

1 Like

For Byrd/Adams, check out Mosaic’s collection of the Complete Blue Note Byrd/Adams Studio Sessions. Sadly OOP though these days.

5 Likes

Of the Donald Byrd / Pepper Adams sessions I have Cat Walk, Royal Flush, Byrd In Hand from Music Matters 45 RPM series and Chant from the Tone Poet series. All remastered by Kevin Gray, Maybe not the complete recordings Mosiac reissued, but I’d rather have these fine LPs than the four CDs any day of the week. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have issues with the Tone Poets. Joe Harley is a friend and explained to me what people are complaining about, and shared the technical details of it he got from Kevin Gray. Basically, people are griping that 60 year-old analog tapes aren’t perfect and have flaws that are out of anyone’s control.

I for one am thrilled that Don, Joe and Kevin are bringing us these magnificent moments in jazz history, nits and all. I applaud them for their tremendous and successful efforts.

I abandoned the Steve Hoffman forum threads discussing the Tone Poet, BN80, and other releases. I think they serve no better purpose than to suck the joy out of the music. Joe quit those forums too, and not only do I not blame him, but I encouraged him when he brought it up so he could focus on what makes him happy about the project.

I’ve learned that if you want to find ways to make you unhappy about music just read the Steve Hoffman Music Discussion forums. What a killjoy.

5 Likes

I’ve bought almost all the Tone Poets and like the Music Matters releases think they are superb. Wonderful, that they are releasing quality vinyl like that at a reasonable price…

1 Like