Jazz Music Thread

Another Time also sounds wonderful streaming on Qoduz. :smiley:

Behind the Dikes seems to be vinyl or CD only.

Dave

1 Like

Hi @anon23154165 thanks for tecommending Nicolas Parent. To me he is a new. Very pleasant album. Took a few tracks to get used to it, but I am a fan now

Cheers
Iver

SARABANDE - FRED HERSCH * CHARLIE HADEN * JOEY BARON

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Teamed up in a trio with bassist Charlie Haden and drummer Joey Baron, pianist Fred Hersch is heard on this date exploring the modern mainstream of jazz. His thoughtful and exploratory solos on such numbers as Ornette Coleman’s “Enfant,” Jimmy Rowles’ “The Peacocks,” “What Is This Thing Called Love,” “Blue In Green” and three of his own originals (including the title cut) are full of subtle and generally swinging surprises. This CD is a fine example of Fred Hersch’s playing.

Recorded December 1986

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

Listening to some great performances by the Bill Evans Trio. Here at the Village Vanguard. This trio worked so well together and it is very well recorded.

12 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion.
This one is very good too, with a particularly intimate version of And I love her.
Maurizio

1 Like

This is new Fred Hersch territory for me. Up to now I’ve mainly explored his solo and trio recordings. This quintet recording is certainly interesting. May take a few listens to fully appreciate. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dave

1 Like

Lovely article about Henry Lowther live with a little background too. By that man Richard Williams again.

2 Likes

Now on Qobuz

Also from Trio

N

5 Likes

Still stuck on the sofa. Maid service is poor so trying to teach dog Albert how to make a sandwich and cup of tea.
Today we have gone back to the well spring of all modern jazz piano.
I suppose 8 with Ben is the best known but the rest are full of marvels. You need and I have at the moment plenty of time to listen.

Albert,cut the crusts off and don’t lick the Spam.

N

5 Likes

re: Vol. 8 I’ll second that and a real gem of an album…

51IQC9rtc-L

AllMusic Review by William Ruhlmann

The only album-length collaboration between pianist Art Tatum and tenor saxophonist Ben Webster (accompanied by a rhythm section of Red Callender, bass, and Bill Douglass, drums) was this September 11, 1956, session under the auspices of Norman Granz’s Verve Records label. (It was also Tatum’s last recording session before his death.) Granz probably suggested the repertoire of standards by the likes of Kern and Hammerstein, Rodgers & Hart, and Cole Porter, but the melodies, of course, only provide a framework. On each track, Tatum leads things off, with Callender and Douglass coming in discreetly (and low in the mix). Then, at a certain point, Webster appears in the foreground, playing comparatively few notes and sticking much more to the melody than his partner. This is a good approach, since Tatum never subsides to simple comping; he just keeps soloing away under Webster’s rich tenor tones until Webster stops playing, and then keeps on to the end. So, although this is billed as a group effort, it’s not a group of equals or really one in which the players are cooperating with each other. Tatum might as well be playing solo, since he takes very little account of what’s happening around him. Granz makes it work by varying the volume of the different instruments in the mix, and the result is a fascinating study in contrasts.

CD rip and streaming on Qobuz.

Those of a certain age may remember the original vinyl release…

R-2996571-1310977765.jpeg

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Try this, you’re gonna like it. Very easy in the ear, has a bit of that “dark, little jazz cafe” athmosphere

Iver

4 Likes

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Stan Getz’s final recording, a two-CD live set of duets with pianist Kenny Barron that was cut just three months before his death, finds the great tenor in surprisingly creative form despite an occasional shortness of breath. Getz’s tone is as beautiful as ever and he does not spare himself on this often exquisite set. His version of Charlie Haden’s “First Song” is a highlight but none of the 14 performances are less than great. A brilliant farewell recording by a masterful jazzman.

There is also an expanded version titled “People Time - The Complete Recordings”.

Enjoy

Dave

7 Likes

This is pretty incendiary - the 3LP version. Recorded live at the Left Bank Jazz Society, Baltimore in 1970.

Lots of ‘oomph’ in the mastered sound.

2 Likes

Thanks,old timer. That’s today’s hard work on the sofa taken care of

I see Anniversary and Serenity by the quartet from this time are now on Qobuz.

N

1 Like

The Complete Recordings not only contains all the music from the seven (7) sets but Getz’s annoucements as well. A total playing time of 6hr 57mins!?!

I’m on the case! :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

I was surprised to learn from the latest Jazz Shepherd You tube video. (I live a life of careless abandon)
How he values the records of Johnny Smith. Placing him alongside Grant Green in his estimation.

Johnny Smith and Stan Getz recording of Moonlight in Vermont and Gerry Mulligan’s Walking Shoes cemented my love of jazz in my mid teens.
American Forces Network from Munich with Willis Conover. We could do with a similar nightly jazz programme now.
N

2 Likes

A very enjoyable album as is your reference to Stan Getz and Moonlight in Vermont…

AllMusic Review by Eric Schneider

Johnny Smith’s best-known album, 1952’s Moonlight in Vermont (also the title of his signature song), assured the guitarist a place in jazz history. While saxophone legend Stan Getz is a prominent guest on the record, and certainly threatens to steal the show on numerous occasions, the spotlight never strays too far from Smith, who easily entrances with his supremely laid-back style. Consisting almost entirely of standards, it’s ideal for lulling listeners to sleep – in the most pleasing sense – as Smith’s spare, chiming, six-string lines gently mesh with the subtle rhythmic backing and Getz’s resonant sax playing, as revealed on lilting renditions of “Where or When” and “Stars Fell on Alabama.” Of course, the title track is the main attraction of the disc, garnering its reputation with gorgeously delicate work by the entire ensemble. The epitome of Smith’s mesmerizing, soporific style of jazz, Moonlight in Vermont is all that most listeners will need by this amiable artist.

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

EST - Where We Used to Live.

An interesting title.

And wonderful interplay, and restraint, and relaxing of restraint…

8 Likes

4 Likes

Ain’t never heard dis like dat!