Jazz Music Thread

Unless I’m mistaken another forum member commented on the vinyl having poor sound. Havent heard it myself, might check the stream, what is the oomph you describe, could it be loudness compression?
:heart:

I don’t think it is compression, more like the levels going into saturation like you often get on Blue Note LPs, especially when Shaw is soloing. Considering the prominence of this recording, not a bad recording at all and the LP version at least captures the live atmosphere very well.

1 Like

Cheers :+1:
:heart:

1 Like

Continuing the Stan Getz duo theme…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

This duet session is as much pianist Albert Dailey’s date as Stan Getz’s. Getz lets Dailey, who passed away a little over a year later, dominate the music and the lyrical pianist comes up with some fresh ideas during the standards set. “Confirmation,” “A Child Is Born” and “Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most” are highpoints as are Dailey’s unaccompanied solo performances of “'Round Midnight” and “Lover Man.”

Recorded January 1983

The album doesn’t appear to be available to stream on Qobuz so ordered CD from Discogs.

Dave

4 Likes

Off to the hospice charity shop with some old rock and other lps.
They have a good understanding of vinyl worth.

Just found these.They must be at least 60 years old.

N

1 Like

Johnny Smith is an incredible guitar player. Technically, he’s streets ahead of Grant Green (not dissing Grant Green here, I love the guy). He’s the most significant guitar player of the 50s and has influenced scores of people. He’s unknown as went into semi-retirement pretty early due to a family tragedy. There’s a Gibson Johnny Smith. Getz was the sax player on some of his albums.

1 Like

Honestly, calling Johnny Smith soporific is pretty insulting. I would point to Jaguar on that CD (which is compiled from a few LPs) for fireworks. True the tone is mellow (it was the early 50s), but the playing is amazing. Might as well call Kind of Blue a soporific lullaby while we’re at it.

1 Like

Nice haul ! That Harry Edison disk looks like a UK EP version of tracks taken from a Nocturne LP. Never realised that any of that one had been issued in the UK.

A jewel; go listen !
Iver

1 Like

McCoy Tyner - Expansions (Blue Note Tone Poet vinyl series). Many thanks to the Tone Poet series team for this one. Opened today and on 2nd play! Sounds very fine indeed.

3 Likes

And another great Tony Scott one. Recommended

Iver

How could I describe this one. The muted trumpet and violin on the opening tune make a wonderful if strange noise.
Diz in fine form. Stuff scraping away. He really was a fine jazz musician and another Norman Granz rescue.
Wynton Kelly on piano.
More from the Qobuz gold mine.
N

1 Like

Bedtime gin and tonic prepared. Dog cuddled on the settee.
I am looking forward to this. Found on Qobuz.What a strange collection of musicians.
Thank you.
N

** Again we have Bill Evans …a man in search of a style. You can hear the final product struggling to the surface. Interesting record.
N

1 Like

Hey @jazzman22 , thanks for the Johnny Smith recommendation. Listened twice now and really enjoy the album !

Iver

1 Like

Hi @Nick1940 playing Kenny Dorham right now. Indeed a very well recorded album. Sound is 100% separate from the speakers!
I love the music; it’s the style of jazz (how would you call this? Bob? Contemporary?) I like. Thanks for your recommendation

Iver

Ray Brown live !

Iver

4 Likes

Thanks for this. Listening now. This is quiet special isn’t it.

1 Like

It’s splendid !! @bruss

And I love the Roon algoritm that recommended below as a suggestion based on Ray Brown’s album. Also a jewel

Iver

4 Likes

Highly recommended. Both « mainstream jazz » and very rythmic
Iver

6 Likes

Sonny Rollins playlist from Tidal.

1 Like