Jazz Music Thread

@IvdZ Thanks for the heads up on this musician, I had never heard of him or Tiny Grimes the guitarist - really good album !
Listening to the above - downloaded from Qobuz - £3.99 !!!
About to pull the plug on another I think - thanks again !

2 Likes

Enjoy @Ian

Blue Note artist of whom I was unaware. A recommendation from
Dan,the Jazz Shepherd’s latest you tube. That lad sure does know a lot
and once again I have too much time on my hands.image
From the more bluesy side of the bn catalogue.
Buckshot la funke might sound a lot like Cannonball Aderley.

A couple of wonderful records. With more from Steeplechase.
On Qobuz
N

3 Likes

Saturday afternoon with some good food abd below. The Scott Hamilton album was released quite recently. It is very balanced and smooth, andwell recorded

I have been lucky enough to attend a live concer of Fay Claassen. Absolute jewel from The Netherlans; amazing voice

Iver

1 Like

@Nick1940 - Thanks for posting this one - of interest !
As a matter of interest, I see Quboz have 3 versions of it available:-
Blue Note £6.99
Revolver Music Ltd £3.99
Music Manager £4.79 + HiRes version £7.19

apart from the HiRes, do you reckon there is any sound quality difference between the others?
Thanks

Thanks for this. Playing this at the mo

And will follow on with this

4 Likes

I have played the Blue Note versions. If buying download this must be the best option. The others can only be copies.
Lps and cds available.
JazzHouse Records have BN connoisseur cd for £5.00
And a Japanese cd for £10.00
One of each.
N

1 Like

Hi @bruss ; thanks for the Frank Morgan one !! Love it
Iver

1 Like

I did direct this thread to Frank’s life story a while ago.Well worth a quick read.
The credit for his re-emergence is often given to Michael Connolly and the Bosch series of policiers.
N

2 Likes

Bosch was my introduction.

1 Like

4 Likes

Spumante, Replicant, Ufo and a rose red shimmer: Bobby Hutcherson - Components on Blue Note BST-84213, US Re-Press 1977

5 Likes

McCoy Tyner - Reevaluation: The Impulse Years on Impulse/ ABC Records AS-9235-2, US 1973

3 Likes

@narcom I need to admit I didn’t know Richard Wyands. Tried the album you posted and ran it twice. Superb; like it a lot
Thanks for sharing !!
Iver

1 Like

Couldn’t find said album on Qobuz but it lead me to this rather delightful one originally released in 1989…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

On McCoy Tyner’s first solo piano album in 16 years, the remarkable stylist really digs into six standards (including “Yesterdays,” “In A Mellow Tone” and “Don’t Blame Me”) and four of his originals (highlighted by “You Taught My Heart To Sing”). Although somewhat typecast as John Coltrane’s fiery pianist, Tyner at times on this record sounds romantic and in other spots hints a bit at Art Tatum. This is a rather special project from one of the finest jazz pianists of the past 35 years.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

A classy tribute

2 Likes

You might find it at a record store :wink:

Not many of those around these days.

My turntable is long gone and the CD player is gathering dust. :grinning:

Dave

I love to slow down after the stress of the day. So my CD player also catches dust, the streamer does the same. The turntables, however, are very busy.

2 Likes

@narcom based on your earlier recommendation (which I really liked), now playing below. Superb album. You should try it
Iver

4 Likes