Jazz Music Thread

Excellent documentary screened on BBC Four Friday evening and available on the BBC iPlayer…

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

I watched it by chance and thought it an excellent documentary.

3 Likes

The best I found this week by the Bill Charlap Trio. Lovely album in a small jazz setting around piano and splendid drums. Very well recorded as well

Iver

9 Likes

Nice one. The trio’s latest recording I think. I nearly posted this one myself.

Dave

1 Like

And another one hits the dust…

Old mate Spike Heatley has left us.
He often used to come round for dinner with his partner of the time Gail Thompson (jazz warrior and the only female jazz messenger).
He loved Harwich and often returned in his late years for a concert with his quartet featuring Art Theman.

N

1 Like

Another recommendation for one of my favourites.

Just the three of them.

On Qobuz.

N

2 Likes

Recommended trio play, style like Tord Gustavsen, Alboran Trio…

3 Likes

God forbid. Not another lost tape.

You’re up again next Coltrane we haven’t had one from you for at least six months.

Other Jazz musicians are available.

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

N

1 Like

I posted earlier on the Bill Charlap Trio. If you like chamber-music-type piano jazz, I’d recommend to listen to the group

Below are two other Bill Charlap Trio albums. Both brilliant and again very (!) well recorded

Iver

2 Likes

Tried the Roberto Olzer album, @BertBird . Thanks for recommending. I like it !

Iver

Sorry to hear that news. I used to have loads of casettes recorded from BBC Sounds of Jazz live sessions from Maida Vale and Spike featured a lot.
Another sad loss.

Very talented pianist from India
Iver

5 Likes

Two older cds.

I think he was just finding his feet on these two. His style is a little more forceful.
He was learning his trade. I saw him with Gerry Mulligan.
Married to Renee Rosnes another jazz pianist of note.
N

4 Likes

Ah thanks @Nick1940 I am gonna listen to those

Actually, I think he hails from Denpasar, Indonesia.

Before streaming took over I bought a couple of this earlier albums.

Dave

2 Likes

Hi @IvdZ and @jazzman22

Joey Alexander is from Indonesia, and I agree with your comment that he is very talented. I have Eclipse, his earlier CD My Favourite Things, and his latest Warna - all excellent.

2 Likes

An old favourite

3 Likes

Oh this one guys; over 60 of his best tracks
Iver

5 Likes

Tonight’s concert of Peter Erskine Trio in Camogli, near Genoa: superb musicians! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Nothing new here.

Just some splendid,well played relaxing music. Rossano’s unique piano style pushes a perhaps run of the mill but fine cd to a higher level.

Sounding clean and bright on Qobuz.

N

1 Like