Jazz Music Thread

Think I have posted this one in the past, but here again. Maybe because Jef Neve is from my own little country

Ansolutely recommended
Iver

3 Likes

Just the three of ‘em. No organs,pianos or saxophones.

I like cds where the principal is out on the tight rope. No hiding or much chordal help.

Reasonably well recorded by RVG (not the best engineer in my opinion) but even he should have made a better job of Ware’s solos.

An undiscovered pleasure.

N

7 Likes

Very nice: quite a positive surprise this album
Iver

1 Like

Audiophile and very nice, give it a try if you also liked Polarity of the Hoff Ensemble, you can get it at native dsd

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out.

I listen to Keith almost every day, but know very little about him.

In fact I’m listening to him right now.

(I saw a very good one on Zappa on iPlayer recently.)

4 Likes

Prompted by this blog to re listen to this great album:

6 Likes

Thanking the Roon algorithms again that led me to this album which is exceptionally good if you like piano jazz. Very recommended

Iver

9 Likes

Beautiful recording and very enjoyable and interesting listening experience!

2 Likes

Just trying out this guy Christian Escoude

Good paring here.

2 Likes

On ECM label
Nice

Iver

4 Likes

An interesting find through Roon. A good calming one if it’s been a hectic day at work!

2 Likes

Absinthe is another nice album by Dom Miller.

1 Like

Top drawer, straight ahead, post-bebop, jazz. Out today…

Live at the Village Vanguard [2021] Review

by Matt Collar

The first live album from Christian McBride’s dynamic quintet Inside Straight, 2021’s Live at the Village Vanguard was captured during their 2014 residency at the iconic Manhattan jazz club. This was the same residency that spawned the bassist’s equally thrilling 2015 trio album, and in that sense it works as a kind of companion piece to that album. Prior to forming Inside Straight, McBride had moved somewhat away from the hard-driving jazz that first established his reputation, pursuing his love of funk and rock sounds as on his 2003 album Vertical Vision, not to mention work with Sting and others. Inside Straight, while no less adventurous than those projects, brought him back to playing deeply sophisticated acoustic jazz and collaborating with his bandmates – alto and soprano saxophonist Steve Wilson, pianist Peter Martin, vibraphonist Warren Wolf, and drummer Carl Allen. Although an archival release, Live at the Village Vanguard fits nicely into Inside Straight’s discography chronologically, seated as it is after the group’s two studio albums, 2009’s Kind of Brown and 2013’s People Music. Among all of McBride’s various groups, including his Grammy-winning Big Band, Inside Straight feels particularly suited to live recording, favoring fiery post-bop improvisation and kinetic group interplay. Both Wilson and Martin are supremely balanced soloists, deftly constructing edgy harmonies on McBride’s roiling “Fair Hope Theme” before dancing with nuanced lyricism on the Dave Brubeck-esque"Uncle John." In particular, Wolf’s compositions like the propulsive bop opener “Sweet Bread” and the expansive Latin groover “Gang Gang” showcase the group’s potent sound, highlighting the way his bright vibraphone works as a sonic bridge between Allen’s galvanizing drumming and Wilson’s rippling harmonies. Of course, pulling all of this together is McBride, whose robust and sinewy basslines remain as impressive as ever.

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Hi @A-Fin thanks for the Dominic Miller suggestion. I listened to it; very nice
Iver

2 Likes

Just been spinning this very unusual album reissued by Trunk, on vinyl. 60’s Herbie Hancock and band of jazz ringers interprets (then 17 year old) Jonathan Klein’s Hebrew prayer music. Unique !

1 Like

5 Likes

Played the Rembrandt Trio album you recommended twive now @BertBird ; had to get used to it, but it is a really good album. The pianoplay is brilliant and the bass accompanying is done very creatively. Like it a lot
Thanks for the tecommendation
Iver

1 Like

Thanks for highlighting this @jazzman22 . I was unaware of this album, but I’m a big fan of the classic Tony Bennett/Bill Evans album. I’ll check it out for sure.

1 Like

I’ve owned this LP a while and played and loved it, but last night it really blew me away. First time I’ve played it with my Keel/Aro’d LP12 and I suspect that’s the key, but what an album. If I have gripes it’s that so many tracks are too short, truncated or faded out after 3 mins or less ( for radio?). Still, Utterly awesome band and a very special musical event.

4 Likes

Can’t go wrong with Gerald Wilson !

1 Like