Jazz Music Thread

Nice an’ Cool by the super cool Gene Ammons. The way he blows his horn is like therapy especially in these strange times.

3 Likes

1 Like

More COVID-19 lockdown therapy…

Dexter Gordon - Ballads

index6

AllMusic Review by Stephen Cook

Along with Gene Ammons and Stanley Turrentine, Dexter Gordon was one of the top ballad players of the '60s. Having already made his name in the bebop era and as an expatriate in Europe, Gordon returned to the States to record a series of fine Blue Note discs during the first half of the decade. This edition of the label’s Ballads series features Gordon at his peak and in the company of some of hard bop’s best players. Whether melding nicely with trumpeter Donald Byrd from a Paris date in 1964 (“Darn That Dream”) or locking in with the stellar rhythm section of Sonny Clark, Butch Warren, and Billy Higgins (“Don’t Explain”), Gordon delivers his almost sleepy and smoke-filled solos with regal grace. The same can also be said of the rest of this incredible program, including a latter-day live cut from 1978. A perfect set for those in need of a provocative after-hours session in front of the stereo.

3 Likes

Charlie Parker - The Savoy 10-inch LP Collection

images7

To celebrate the centenary of Charlie Parker’s birthday on August 29th 1920 in Kansas City, this impeccable compilation brings together sessions recorded by the saxophonist for the Savoy label between 1944 and 1948. 28 tracks have been restored and remastered by Paul Blakemore, with music by legends such as Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, Bud Powell and John Lewis, a veritable soundtrack to the birth of bebop. Some of the tracks are taken from an almost mythical session from November 1945 which some baptised ‘The Greatest Jazz Session Ever’, with Miles, Max Roach and Curley Russell presented as Charlie Parker’s Reboppers. The virtuosity and acrobatic poetry displayed by Bird and his friends revolutionised jazz, which had until then never known such freedom and technical excellency. Of course, the themes themselves (Donna Lee, Chasin’ the Bird, Milestones, Now’s the Time, Parker’s Mood, Marmaduke…) are so gorgeous that they have all become standards in their own right. Charlie Parker not only rewrote the jazz rulebook but also invented a language and an aesthetic that would go on to influence countless musicians. An essential album. ©️ Marc Zisman/Qobuz

3 Likes

I’ve not heard this Dave and will check it out this evening it does sound like exactly what is needed at this time.

@GeoffC -adding to the Red’s lists above;
At the Prelude
Red In Bluesville
Red Alone
A Garland of Red
with Sonny Rollins-Tenor Madness (where you also have the very rare Sonny & Trane together, on the title track)
All Morning Long

2 Likes

Hi @Brilliant

Thank you very much for the list, that is really helpful.

1 Like

Used to have the LP. Bought many BYG Actuel discs from Ray’s Records in New Oxford Street in the early '70s. The only ones I play now are Don Cherry’s Mu and Blasé by Archie Shepp.

2 Likes

Some of the stuff is a real challenge on the Actuel label but rewarding.

Ha! Ray’s Records in New Oxford Street - I got thrown out of there once! I’d phoned Ray or whoever it was up and asked for the price of a CD and nipped over there after work to pick it up - for some reason he refused to honour the price given over the phone and we had a little, let’s say, discussion. It was when he asked me to step outside I got a bit worried.

I think they closed not long after my altercation and the name is now used for the record shop within Foyles bookshop.

3 Likes

As well as Milestones, The Miles Davis Quintet recordings on Prestige
Round About Midnight, Miles, Workin, Relaxin, Steamin, Cookin
220px-RoundAboutMidnightMilesDavis 220px-Miles_Davis_-_Cookin'_with_the_Miles_Davis_Quintet Miles_Davis_relaxin 220px-Steamin'_With_the_Miles_Davis_Quintet.jpeg 220px-MilesDavis_Workin Miles_Davis_New_Miles_Davis_Quintet
Concord have recently released the Miles Davis Quintet Sessions on a CD or LP box set

I’m quite fond of the Moodsville LP on Prestige with Paul Chambers and Art Taylor
220px-The_Red_Garland_Trio 220px-Rojo_Garland 220px-All_Kinds_of_Weather
Sorry for thumbnails but it’s easier than taking photos to upload

5 Likes

The Charlie Parker Savoy 10" reissues mentioned earlier by Jazzman are also available as a 4 10"LP set from Craft Recordings

:grinning:

Recorded live in 1985 at the Sonet label’s studio in Sweden Chet is in fine form with long time collaboraters Michael Grallier on Piano and Jean-Louis Rassinfosse on bass they performed as a trio hundreds of times live and became a real tight group. This is also avilable on CD and DVD the full concert is on youtube and is worth a watch.

1 Like

Great album and a great photo. Ornette is my desert island musician.

1 Like

My favourite Actuel album No. 37 Sonny (and Linda) Sharrock.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your help, plenty to check out there.

Just watched a 1981 documentary on Amazon Prime called Imagine the Sound.
Paul Bley, Cecil et al.
Only gets going after an hour…

1 Like

Vert interesting and I wouldn’t disagree - it was the last Sonny album I eventually tracked down so it holds a special place in my collection.

A few more priceless comments here on my go to site https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/sonny-sharrock/monkey-pockie-boo/

I am sure you know this monumental jazz album from almost a supergroup Sonny Sharrock (guitar), Pharoah Sanders (tenor/soprano sax), Elvin Jones (drums) and Charnett Moffatt (bass). And no Linda!

It’s been reissued recently and is available for a snip on Bandcamp - pity they changed the cover for the reissue.

2 Likes

It’s been interesting for me too with some Red Garland titles I wasnt aware of suggested by other contributors.
Not sure but he does seem to get overlooked in discussion of Jazz pianists.
:+1:

1 Like

A quick glance at Red Garland Wiki page the partial discography lists a meagre 47 records between 1956 to 1979!
And that doesnt include his appearance on other band leaders sessions.
Plenty to discover
:grin:

1 Like

In that case it won’t be so bad if your desert island is within earshot of mine!