Jazz Music Thread

…and available to stream on Qobuz. :grinning:

Dave

I’ve been a long term Tidal user since 2016 but I’m currently trying out Qobuz it’s difficult to hear any difference between the two via the Chromecast Audio/Musical Fidelity V Dac that I use so it boils down to the user interfaces and so far Tidal just edges it.

A new artist for the thread - Giovanni Mirabassi. This album is excellent stuff, in my opinion. Via Tidal.

51mb5Tv94FL

5 Likes

I trialled Qobuz earlier in the year, having being a long term Spotify user. The jazz catologue is very comprehensive and I like the HiRes content which I believe Tidal doesn’t have. Qobuz then dropped the cost from £19.99 to £14.99/mth. so it was a no brainer. Have only bought one CD since and that one wasn’t available to stream. We music lovers have never had it so good.
Dave

1 Like

4 Likes

Take more care of your records Bob

:wink:

Have just rediscovered these.
OJC Samplers
I remember buying them way back when at HMV, I think they were only a couple of quid each.

:grin:

3 Likes

I had a few of these - didn’t realise there were so many.

I remember the complete set displayed on a standalone promotion in the shop. They were so cheap I just bagged the lot.
Short playing times for CD, around 30 to 40 mins each, but they serve as great primers with tracks taken from the artists individual OJC albums
I just found a Bill Evan’s that wasnt in the above photo which completes the set

:grinning:

Sun Ra - Purple Night. From 1989, issued in 1990 - A&M CD rip.

2 Likes

After recently playing the Miles Davis CD ‘Milestones’, I realised that I haven’t got any Red Garland discs and wondered what releases of his anyone here could recommend, either his own or other artists CD’s he plays on?

1 Like

Check his own discography on Prestige as well as John Coltrane’s Prestige discography.

1 Like

I like:
The Nearness of You
Soul Burning
Red Alert
Groovy.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions.

A perennial favourite which should do the job nicely:

index4

and for the title track:

index5

4 Likes

Cheers, for the recommendations.

By the way, your Miles Davis avatar was a favourite picture of a music buddy friend of mine.

1 Like

Great choices. Especially Art Pepper I was playing this last night trying out a Quad Elite QSP power amp controlled by the tiny but powerful Tisbury passive pre and as well as Red Garland who is in my top 5 Jazz pianists the Drum and bass of Philly Joe and Paul Chambers just jump off this record and into your room especially on track 2.

3 Likes

Ps.
Lush Life is also a good shout I’m not a huge Coltrane fan but the opening track is very, very good.

I’m a fan of George Cables too he partnered Art Pepper and some excellent recordings.

1 Like