Jazz Music Thread

Thought so - I remember being interviewed from there on BBC Radio years ago. Also in his younger days in the Bill LeSage ‘Directions In Jazz’ Group, on film in ‘Jazz 625’. Didn’t know about ‘Play Away’, nor that Alan Rushton had also been in it.

I bought some Horace Silver LPs (the covers looked interesting) around the start of the year, but have been away from home since then and haven’t been able to listen to them yet.

Does anyone know his music? I’m sure I can find a good home for them if they’re awful.

Yes - Horace had a really long run on Blue Note, right up to the late 70s and the ‘Silver ‘n’ Brass/Woods/Voices’ Series. Most of it is really strong, with some real masterpieces in there. The likes of ‘Cape Verdean Blues’, ‘The Tokyo Blues’ and ‘The Jody Grind’ are fabulous. In the 80s he released material under his own Silvetto label, followed by releases on Columbia and Impulse.

2 Likes

Many years ago I went to a jazz club in New York City called Blue Note (to see Nancy Wilson sing).

Does anyone know if the Blue Note club and the record label are linked in some way?

No, the two are not linked.

Nancy Wilson was great - saw her once at the Hollywood Bowl and I think George Duke was backing her as part of a Cannonball Adderley tribute band.

You’d get along well with my 99 year old mother who starts worrying about Christmas in September.
'‘Did you order the turkey yet? don’t wait ‘till the last minute, there won’t be any left, did you get a card for aunt Betty? etc…’’

Right, I just assumed that the two were catering to the same sort of audience, so might be linked.

Goodness, I imagine that your experience of seeing her at the Hollywood Bowl was very different from mine seeing her in a small jazz club.

I guess the label name might be the inspiration for the club.

Yes, Nancy Wilson at the Hollywood Bowl was from quite a distance so at times I used binoculars ! Also performing that day were the Gerald Wilson Orchestra with the full LA lineup (superb) and Ray Charles (which, like an idiot, I opted out of). A certain Mr Cosby was MC.

I thought that picture looked familiar…

:heart:

5 Likes

New vinyl release (here in NZ anyway) from Theon Cross - fantastic work from the Sons of Kemet Tuba player… mix of London jazz/electro/hip hop/Afrobeat etc. if you like any of Shabaka Hutchins projects this will be right up your alley…

1 Like

Lovely
Iver

4 Likes

@Dreadatthecontrols one of his best albums
Iver

1 Like

Very uncomplicated and quite “simplictic”, yet enjoyable
Iver

3 Likes

Masterclass of sound by Gene Ammons and some “big boys” :grin:
Iver

3 Likes

Just the two of them.
Scott is the groaner.
Well recorded.
On Qobuz.

Or try the original.

Apparently Pizzarelli used a seventh string to give the impression of a bass player.
Strange stereo effect in places. Zoot seems to wander from speaker to speaker.
On Qobuz

1 Like

Early Charlap. No congas.:clap:

2 Likes

@Nick1940 I tried the Pizzarelli/Hamilton version and it is just lovely. Brilliantly orchestrated and stunning timing of the musicians. Thanks for recommending
Iver

Highly tecommended
What a joy to listen to
Iver

3 Likes

Organ and Vibraphone. Really nice album
What a surprise
Iver

As per above, here is a more recent album of The Johnny Lytle Trio. To be honest, I didn’t know the trio, but thanks to Roon’s algorithm, I do now. Have a listen: easy in the ear, very nice vibraphone and stunning compositions
Iver