Jazz Music Thread

A classic!

2 Likes

What a fine picture!

You can hear if you listen to a couple of Hawkins tracks how revolutionary Lester’s style must have seemed.
Nat Cole’s piano full of the blues. Buddy Rich playing for the other two.
Pres was an unhappy,complicated man not always available to take advantage of recording opportunities. Perhaps David Stone Martin’s cover recognises a split personality. But why no shoes?
On Qobuz complete with crackles so obviously not ‘highly definitated’.
In my top ten as well

3 Likes

Yes. Why has the shoe shine boy lost his shoes?

Dave

1 Like

Hi @Nick1940 I found the Lester Young Trio album you posted on Qobuz. Listening to it right now: it has a lot of « hisses & scratches » in the sound as if I am listening to a vinyl record. Should it be like that? Don’t get me wrong, the sound is very good (the album as well), it just seems to be vinyl I am listening to (i.e. Beginning of track 1 and also at the start of track 2)

Iver

3 Likes

Recorded in 1946. Probably for release on 10 inch 78rpms.

I suppose you could engineer the scratches etc out but you might well loose a lot of the sound. I like it as it is.

Just imagine instead of all our modern equipment you had just rushed home with the record and had to wind the gramophone up.

1 Like

RIP Creed Taylor

3 Likes

Indeed - A giant of the Jazz story. RIP CT!

I was saddened to read that the fine Hammond organist and trumpet player Joey de Francesco had died.
Only 51 but he had struggled with his health for some time.
Many fine recordings available.

On Qobuz

3 Likes

Nice surprise; very enjoyable listen
The guy on piano “knows his stuff”
Iver

1 Like

? This is a shocker, sad news indeed

Thank you. I didn’t even look to see if this was on Qobuz as Trio used not to release records there.
Two of my favourite old reprobates.

Barry & Theman.

On Qobuz

1 Like

A good night of the very best of modern mainstream jazz.
Harwich Electric Palace.

Comfortable theatre.
Decent acoustic.
Stars aplenty.

Spike lived just outside Harwich for many years and was greatly loved or highly regarded take your pick. Used to tell me many jazz scandals over a couple in the Cherry Tree.

2 Likes

This sounds fantastic streamed from Qobuz. Good call

1 Like

Decent lyrics by different authors.
Clifford Jordan, Charlie Rouse, Mraz and Foster offer sterling support.
Neither pianist tries to copy the master.
I like it.
Qobuz.

2 Likes

I really like this label… quality contemporary jazz vibes!

Four months early but who cares !

1 Like

What a great looking concert. Didn’t Spike also live for a fair while in France?

I am not sure of the full story but he moved to Brittany and pursued his love of golf.
I did read that Martin Taylor,the fine guitar player, sought him out and encouraged him to start playing again.

The wife and girls were regular viewers.

2 Likes