Jazz Music Thread

Conservative contingent here.

From the days when I was often present at Gary Crosby’s musical evenings
With the original Warriors. I took a shine to the playing of the young kid with the trombone.
I have been to hear Dennis a few times with his trio and it is fun …but I simply wouldn’t play the music very often when I have so many other choices.
My net has been spread wide but sadly I am no longer able to travel to try and appreciate the youngsters so with Herbie’s permission I will play what I like and not comment on others’ choices.

Now where did I put that Vic Dickinson cd… ah under the Dickie Wells.

3 Likes

Have all his albums and met him too.
Lovely guy. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Dave Sear

It has been far too long that I heard modern musicians that just get it. Fresh, musically apt, nothing too scholar, very nice. Very nice? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be amazed if this one ends up in multiple jazz lists of 2022…., have a listen and enjoy…

11 Likes

2 Likes

Try some Wes Montgomery for starters.

2 Likes

Highly recommended…

Dave

5 Likes

The typeface used on ‘roon’ is so similar to the ‘naim’ logo on the front of Classic equipment. It prompts a double take on my part every time.

You are right, similar font

Tony Augarde on www.Musicweb-International.com will take you through the 3 cd programme should you be interested. His thoughts on JJ Johnson’s off night are certainly true.

At least it is what it is . Unedited ,showing off the good and not so.

Nice to hear Byas and Cannonball in this setting.

Not a lot of grandstanding. Most Men in their prime.On Qobuz.

3 Likes

Watching an episode of Bosch recently, he was playing Doxy from this album in his car…“you’ve got that one!” Chimed Mrs Dread enthusiastically. Trouble is I cant find my vinyl copy which seems to have gone to wherever missing records go and I cant find it.

But…

Miles Davis - Bags Groove (Qobuz HiRes)

Enjoying this on repeat plays lately

Great line up and superb HiRes audio

:heart:

7 Likes

I said a little earlier…in my top ten. Owned the 10 inch Prestige as a lad and loved it ever since.

2 Likes

I must have missed that

Ian Carr - Belladonna (Mr Bongo/Vertigo)

Jazz not Jazz?

Nice recent re issue from Mr Bongo of this early 70"s “Jazz Rock Fusion” album which is also pretty damn funky.

In sum, Belladonna isn’t merely a fine album, it’s a great one. Carr, in transition and somewhat financially dire straits, remains capable of enthralling listeners with a highly individual concept of jazz-rock fusion that makes no compromises either in quality or creative imagination.

2 Likes

Binker Golding (Saxophones) and Moses Boyd (Drums) are two of the leading lights in my view to emerge from the UK “Jazz Re:freshed” movement, whether on individual solo projects or as a duo their albums for the excellent Gearbox label starting with the debut Dem Ones are all worth checking out.

This is their latest offering

Binker And Moses - Feeding The Machine (Gearbox)

An experimental spontaneous free Jazz collaboration with Max Luthert contributing electronics and loops.

The Jazz Police wont like it :wink:

:oncoming_police_car: :police_car:

1 Like

The Candid label is recently under new stewardship I believe and newly remastered re issues of the catogue are emerging on CD, HiRes and so far a handful of nice all analogue LP’s cut by Bernie Grundman (Max Roach, Abbey Lincoln, Otis Spann…)

Enjoying this on Qobuz, a first for me, an introduction to the music of Cecil Taylor

The World Of Cecil Taylor (Qobuz HR/Candid)

This session, which has been released under numerous guises, is an especially fine introduction to his work, keeping enough of a foot in “traditional” jazz forms to offer one purchase while dangling breathtaking visions of the possible within one’s reach. A classic recording that belongs in anyone’s collection.

Another HiRes Candid title from the same time period as the above Cecil Taylor (1960/61) and another first for me…

Booker Little - Out Front (Qobuz HR/Candid)

Out Front is probably the greatest realization on record of trumpeter Booker Little’s scope as a musician and composer. It is also one of only five sessions led by Little as a band leader before his premature death at the age of 23 in 1961. The sextet on these dates include the great Max Roach on drums, Eric Dolphy on reeds, and Julian Priester on drums. At the time, a growing number of younger jazz artists were exploring ways to further expand the range and depth of communication in jazz. This album is a perfect example of that “new wave.”

Tried Herb Ellis, « Nothing but the Blues »; lovely !! Tx @Nick1940
Iver

1 Like

Hi @RexManning ; I listened twice to the Dave Sear album you recommended. Had to get used to it a bit, but started liking it a lot. Very « rich » compositions and truely dynamic, but still easy in the ear. Thanks for recommending !
Iver

1 Like

@BertBird can only echo you: this is an album hitting the op lists
Very pleasant
Iver

1 Like