Jazz Music Thread

I love that too on vinyl. I also have an expanded CD that adds tracks by a JATP All Stars with Roy Eldridge, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie and Coleman Hawkins

1 Like

Petrucciani in Denmark will definitely be on my vinyl buy list this season. Listening to it now on Tidal, lovely

3 Likes

Saw and heard him a couple of times in London. Once he had his wife with him and by that time he couldn’t play for long without his fingers hurting.
No intervals.One concert. Wonderful music and I remember so much enthusiasm.

Most of his cds are on the hard disc.

I don’t know this cd so shall have a hunt on Qobuz. I know I will enjoy it.

Pleasant and respectful cd cover.

2 Likes

John Coltrane - Blue Train The Complete Masters (Qobuz HR/Blue Note)

Streaming this from curiosity as the new Tone Poet vinyl editions of these are now out. A single vinyl re issue of the original Mono release and a seperate double vinyl of the Stereo mix and outtakes.
For a start the digital stream includes both Mono & Stereo versions and the out takes so a great way to check it out (the two seperate Tone Poet vinyl issues combined costing nearly £100)

I already have a great sounding Music Matters 33 Mono, so asking myself do I need the new Tone Poet Stereo and out takes.

On first listen my answer is no, I cant hear any reason to want me to buy another Stereo copy (I have others) over the Mono which I prefer. And is often the case in my view, the out takes and alternatives are mildly interesting but were obviously discarded for a reason.

The master take of the album is still in my humblest of opinions the way to hear it.

I’m most interested in the thoughts and views of the followers of this thread

:heart:

2 Likes

As mentioned before - not a lot of difference to my ears, so a waste of money to get the 2022 version. The experience with my favorite things was much better….

1 Like

I agree, also the 2LP set of Art Blakey With Thelonious Monk

2 Likes

I have the MMJ Mono and I like it but prefer this new TP MONO. It has a fuller deeper sound but remains vibrant and seems to resolve ‘space’ better with (to me) more pleasing horn timbres. It’s a monster pressing- Excellent. I am tempted to buy the stereo if it is mastered as well as this one, even though I have a few of those. I usually listen to the MONO of BT, preferred by a margin!

These are currently being played on a humble Systemdek IIX/arm + Nagaoka MP11 tt!

1 Like

Interesting @Brilliant, I would expect the MMJ 33 (I assume your referring to the 33 rpm pressing) and the TP to be very close, they are both mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent and pressed at RTI.

There is also very good reason to favour the Mono mastering as I detailed over on the vinyl thread if it interests you

Very nice one !!
Iver

1 Like

Yes, I am reffering to the 33rpm. I know KG did both but something in his chain or awareness has changed since then and now for this re-issue! The differences are clearly audible. You can try it from Amazon and return it if you do not think it is an upgrade.
ATB
B.

2 Likes

Now this is my personal fav of the week: Sony Stitt
What an atmosphere; sounding so well on my set up
Iver

2 Likes

Thanks I may do, but not from Amazon I dont support them
Cheers

I’ve belatedly been getting in to the US cop drama Bosch, as much for the plot as his taste in Jazz. I’m always listening and seeing if I can identify whats playing.

Stumbled across this complilation on Qobuz

By the way could anyone kindly recommend a good Jack Teagarden album/compilation on Qobuz, particularly including Big Eight Blues with Ben Webster

Cheers

Jazz classics Jack Teagarden 839.
On Discogs.

About the only one I could find.

Mmmm Rex Stewart and the amazing Dave Tough.

1 Like

Found it on Q.

1 Like

Thanks I will have a look. I found this on Qobuz but only 4 tracks

Brilliant! Thanks!

Edit: cant see it on the streaming choices, can do downloads but its a bit of a faff, I’m better set up to stream, CD or vinyl

Max Roach - Percussion Bitter Sweet (Impulse 1961)

Worth it for Garveys Ghost alone, try to sit still to this…
Marcus Garvey the great Jamaican civil rights hero who founded The Black Star Liner Company and prophesied the crowning of a Black King, Haile Selassie, inspiring the birth of Ras Tafari (Rastafarians)

Percussion Bitter Sweet Review

by Scott Yanow

A classic album, and one of the finest of drummer Max Roach’s very productive career. The illustrious sidemen (trumpeter Booker Little; trombonist Julian Priester; Eric Dolphy on alto, bass clarinet, and flute; tenorman Clifford Jordan; pianist Mal Waldron, and bassist Art Davis, in addition to some guest percussionists) all have opportunities to make strong contributions. Dolphy’s pleading alto solo on “Mendacity” is particularly memorable. Abbey Lincoln has two emotional and very effective vocals, but it is the overall sound of the ensembles and the political nature of the music that make this set (along with Roach’s Freedom Now Suite) quite unique in jazz history.