Jazz Music Thread

I wouldn’t disagree but let’s not forget Cannonball Adderley. :grinning:
Dave

3 Likes

Yes

1 Like

The second great quintet is my favorite: Miles, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams. The compositional prowess of that group alone is just stunning, not to mention the amazing performances from them as a group.

1 Like

Miles’ tribute to the Duke ‘He Loved Him Madly’ from ‘Get Up With It’ is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever released. Just a stunning masterpiece of composition.

8 Likes

This and all the live versions following:

8 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion !! Just tried it; wondrful album !!

2 Likes

Of course

Personally Miles looses me after In a Silent Way which is a masterpiece but Bitches Brew I just don’t get in the same way I don’t get later Coltrane and then all the Funk and Fusion stuff just doesn’t do it for me but my musical tastes change all the time and in a years time hopefully I will be listening and enjoying all of Miles’s work.

1 Like

I bought this record for it’s last track - Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered and Blue Sonny is pretty decent too.

2 Likes

Managed to finally listen to this tonight a very nice selection I especially enjoyed You’ve Changed.

1 Like

I’m with you on that about Miles. I love In A Silent Way. Jack Johnson is good, and I can take Bitches Brew in small doses, but everything else post Silent Way is not my cup of tea. During the lates 70s and early 80s I got into all the Jazz Fusion stuff, but that didn’t last for me. I still like some thing from the genre, but I mostly like more mainstream, free and avant-garde forms of acoustic jazz.

Folder
These are 2 x live LPs which to me are up there with the best !

4 Likes

Everyone seems to have forgotten what a superb contribution Michael Henderson made to the Miles albums of this period. He is almost never mentioned unlike McLaughlin, Zawinul, Herbie, Mtume etc.
Henderson went on the become a wonderful soul/jazz singer alongside his masterful bass playing.
A brilliant all round musician.

2 Likes

Absolutely ! He (and Miles) got a lot of flack at the time from the jazz cognoscenti but his grounded but stimulating and funky as hell presence is crucial to ‘On The Corner’ through to ‘Agharta’ and ‘Pangaea’. Miles knew what he was doing !

2 Likes

Try to find the track Happy from his In The Night Time album. A scintillating piece of space funk very much in keeping with the sound he and Miles created for the On The corner sessions.

But a lot of people had trouble understanding it, jazz cognoscenti or not. :blush:

To be fair, it was only with the 1990s CD issue of ‘On The Corner’ that I really started to get my head around what was going on in this music. The comments back in the day about the LP put me off going anywhere near it. Same with that double LP of live material. The Corky McCoy sleeve covers were also viewed as pretty naff back then, much cooler now !

With you on that. When I first bought Get Up With It around 1977 I had to put it away for 6 months as I didn’t get it one bit. Came back to it from time to time and now its one of my favourite Miles albums. Certainly not easy listening.

1 Like

Don’t you just love Keith Jarrett’s hair style? You better had, because we’ll all end up like that at the end of the year!

And yes, I agree that even those who declare they don’t like Miles’s work after In a Silent Way need to hear He Loved Him Madly.

Apparently the only time Jarrett used electric piano was when he played with Miles.