Jazz Music Thread

I didn’t know this but Wikipedia says he plays electric piano on Freddie Hubbard’s Sky Dive (1972) which would have been shortly after leaving Miles.

Almost like Super Mario !

1 Like

You may well be right. I was quoting what he said in the documentary The Art of Improvisation. Maybe the Hubbard session was a one off.

It’s not always about whether you understand it or not. Sometimes you just plain don’t like it. I gave his post Silent Way music a chance, and after decades I still don’t like it, and probably never will. I have On The Corner, Pangaea, Black Beauty, and Live Evil. Although I have tried playing them in the past I don’t even try anymore. The genre just isn’t my cup of tea.

I agree but I do like In A Silent Way. After that album, apart from a few odd tracks, e.g. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down, Jean Pierre, he left me behind after that I’m afraid.

In A Silent Way is a brilliant work. It’s a favorite of my wife’s too.

3 Likes

Sketches Of Spain?
220px-Miles_Davis_-_Sketches_of_Spain

:+1:

3 Likes

Miles Ahead is my favourite Gil Evans collaboration. :blush:

3 Likes

Definitive issue !

6 Likes

I just answered a knock at the door…drum roll…fanfare…

Gotta love the Royal Mail
:clap::clap::heart::sunglasses:

7 Likes

w. Shelley Manne, drums,and Mads Winding, bass.

Released January 2018 in HiRes on Qobuz.

5 Likes

I have heard Get Up With It quite a few times especially ‘He Loved Him Madly’ which is like ambient music more than a decade before it became fashionable but apart from that track and even some passages within that particular track are just too much for me.

As always with Miles there are flashes of brilliance everywhere but on the whole post 1969 my birth year coincidentally it’s just not my cup of tea. Like Coltrane at times just too much going on.

From 1963 live and direct Tony Williams, Ron Carter, George Coleman and Herbie Hancock

3 Likes

Arrrrrgh! My God how can two musicians create such a confusing noise. Why did you do that to me ChiefChirpa? I thought this was a nice forum full of nice music lovers.

All joking aside I just don’t understand that at all and If that’s Interstellar then I’m most definitely an Earth bound Jazz cat.

I’m going to have to listen to some Chet to get that Interstellar Jazz out of my head.

3 Likes

Fantastic Jazz pianist one of the best in my opinion. He formed an excellent undertanding with Doug Raney son of Jimmy they compliment each other so well.

3 Likes

Not Pharoah’s biggest fan but this is something else. Quite rare now so
forced to listen on youtube.

2 Likes

Pharoah’s Impulse! records were an important part of my jazz education but this one passed me by. India Navigation has not had a comprehensive re-release programme, although I’ve seen some on cd, like David Murray’s fabulous ‘Flowers for Albert’.

1 Like

Sublime music.

1 Like

Some of my collection:

2018-09-16 13.16.20

8 Likes

“Too many notes, Mozart” - Emperor Joseph II

1 Like