Jazz Music Thread

Some earlier period 1948/49 Joe Turner with the Pete Johnson Orchestra on this nice old Arhoolie LP compilation sourced from Swing Time masters

:heart:

Found out this am that BG occasionally plays with my son’s guitar teachers band, which I thought was pretty cool :grinning:

1 Like

Vinyl time - So easy on the ear before dinner
Chet Baker (t)
Duke Jordan (p)
Niels Henning Orsted Pederson (b)
Norman Fearrington (d)

2 Likes

Sad to hear of the passing of this musical genius. Bought this on vinyl, earlier this year.

1 Like

More grim reaper activity.

Big hands as Cannonball named him.

Harold Mabern.Again not my scene but I enjoyed some of his heavy chordal trios.

JC could write a nice tune.

3 Likes

Joe Lovano - I’m All For You (Ballad Songbook) (Qobuz/Blue Note)

Nice relaxing, easy listening (but in the best possible taste)

6 Likes

Dexter Gordon - The Panther

Cool 1970 session with some fine soulful interpretations of Body & Soul, Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting, aaaaaaargh! Its only September!) Blues Walk (more of a brisk Jog here) and the title track The Panther

3 Likes

Good one. Also included in that nice ‘Complete Prestige’ CD set that Fantasy put out, years ago now.

1 Like

Clifford Brown And Max Roach (Emarcy 1955)

Particularly selected this as I wanted to be reminded of the original Blues Walk after the Dexter Gordon interpretation on The Panther

8 Likes

To be followed by…

More Blues Walk

2 Likes

A short while back I posted some tongue in cheek teasing about the Jazz Police. I mentioned a Courtney Pine gig I went to where he spoke of his problems with said constabulary, whilst browsing I just came across this article from around that time…

He might be Britain’s most famous saxophonist, but Courtney Pine spends an awful lot of time in the dog house. Sometimes he’s in the metaphorical kennel to which the jazz establishment consigns those who don’t conform to its maxims.

When he achieved fame, the jazz world, instead of rejoicing at the renewed interest in the genre, was not universal in its enthusiasm. “Because I hooked up a deal with Island Records and got lots of promotion I became one of the most hated north London saxophonists of all time,” he recalls. Even now, there is “this jazz police in this country that claim they know everything about jazz,” he says, adding that “this music is stronger than them.”

:police_car::oncoming_police_car:

1 Like

He’s a lovely down to earth guy seen him live three times and met him once with my family when my daughters were in single figure years he chatted with us for a while and entertained the kids with some jolly banter.
:+1:t2:

1 Like

He is a great guy, likewise seen him live several times and met him a few times too especially when he plays my local intimate Arts Centre venue where he insists the bar stays open during his performance and we have a party with him playing and dancing amongst the audience.

1 Like

Nice and busy here.
My contribution before he falls down the plug hole of oblivion.

Noted for his wonderful tone and clean articulation he played in Dizzy and Basie’s large bands before finding a life in New York theatre pits.

The second part of the cd features Joe with the wonderful Pete Brown and Wade Legge. Nice bluesy club atmosphere. More info on the BlueSounds web site.

One of those wonderful pink label Vogues.
Reminds me to get a beret for the winter.
Dead at 29 years old.

Both on Qobuz.

2 Likes

I shall not be baited.
xx

1 Like

Courtney Pine - House Of Legends

Courtneys album from a few years back celebrating African & Caribbean roots. The legends here being both the fine line up of musicians from around the Caribbean cooking up this joyous upbeat and just downright good time listen, and some legendary subject material, Stephen Lawrence, Samuel Sharpe, Claudia Jones, The Maroons…

If you have the opportunity to see this set live, I think he still performs the show, you’re guaranteed a great fun night and some great music

Courtney Pine - House Of Legends

Courtneys album from a few years back celebrating African & Caribbean roots. The legends here being both the fine line up of musicians from around the Caribbean cooking up this joyous upbeat and just downright good time listen, and some legendary subject material, Stephen Lawrence, Samuel Sharpe, Claudia Jones, The Maroons…

If you have the opportunity to see this set live, I think he still performs the show, you’re guaranteed a great fun night and some great music

Edit: slightly muddy sound on Qobuz unlike my CD or Vinyl

1 Like

Haha! No, your’e assuming I’m referring to you, which I never was, my teasing earlier was intended as a more generalised bit of mischief :wink:

1 Like

New on Qobuz. I’ve been a Wollny fan for quite a while now.

2 Likes

Courtney Pine - Black Notes From The Deep

Courtney’s most recent album (2017) joined by Soul/Jazz singer Omar

Journey To The Urge Within

Following his most recent album rewinding back to '86 for his debut, the Jazz Police weren’t happy!

1 Like

I often have a wander thru Qobuz woods and see if I can find new musicians to enthuse over.

I am here by impressed. The harsh winds that sometimes blow with hurricane force from planet Coltrane seem to have arrived gently and left a nice sparkle (poetry as well… I am after a TiVo review spot :crazy_face:)
He claims to not be a hard bop revivalist.
Dexter sounds the greatest influence.
The rest of the bunch are all stars.
Super recording.
On Qobuz.

3 Likes