Jazz Music Thread

He knocked this one out as well. Innuendo free.
With Grap as I remember. On Qobuz.

3 Likes

One for Iver’s weekend.

I do enjoy Eric Alexander more now that he has turned the Coltrane knob down a notch.

As a tribute in this format Joe Henderson’s Music of Strayhorn takes some beating.

1 Like

You’re right. A gem!

Released in 1992 and described as his come back album.

Dave

8 Likes

Another highly recommended Joe Henderson album from the same period…

Enjoy

Dave

7 Likes

I can’t keep this – Bill Frisell Four – off my playlist lately. Came out last week and it is excellent. We’re going to see them in Knoxville TN next April, along with the Charles Lloyd Chapel Trio featuring Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan.

We saw Charles Lloyd’s Ocean Trio in Denver last week, and that features the pianist from this album – Gerald Clayton. He is excellent!

6 Likes

ah cool; wil try … thanks @Nick1940

Winchester resigned from the police force in 1960 to be a musician full-time, but then on January 13, 1961, he unsuccessfully demonstrated a trick with a revolver.

One of the best recorded albums I’ve heard in a while. Great mellow sounds too

Original Strata-East 2LP.

4 Likes

loving this thanks

Excellent choice! Glass Bead Games is one of my favorite albums. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. This should be in everyone’s collection

Pure Pleasure reissued this some years ago, and I believe it is still available. That’s the one I have.

Folder
I think Doc Cheatham was nearly 90 when this was recorded - remarkable !
I love this CD !!

2 Likes

Love this, keep going back to it again and again on Tidal. I would also recommend Momentum, very different but equally excellent in my opinion

Just arrived from Pure Pleasure Records via Diverse Vinyl

Jesse Sharps - Sharps And Flats (Pure Pleasure/Nimbus West)

Been really enjoying Pure Pleasure’s quality re issues of the Nimbus West catalogue to date Horace Tapscott, Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra, Nate Morgan etc

Now this previously unissued set from 1986 with Jesse Sharps and the Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra (theres also a previously unissued Horace Tapscott just out). The only negative is the price, previous Nimbus West titles from PP were in the £28 - £30 bracket, this and the new Horace Tapscott are now just shy of £50 which seems a bit steep. However this is great music and the best/only way to hear the Nimbus West catalogue as it was intended is via PP’s KG cut AAA mastered vinyl records. According to the article below all previous vinyl re issues were mastered from CD including the PP titles not cut by KG. So highly recommended if you can swallow the price

Interesting article here…

Analog Planet – 18 Dec 21

Horace Tapscott, Tom Albach and the Story of Nimbus West Records

If you’re a musician making albums and you’re not a major pop/rock star or you don’t own your own label, the money you make comes with strings attached. To some, they may be invisible—"Hey, that’s what you do to sell records. Right?” To Horace…

:heart:

Hi Josquin,

How do you find the SQ of the Pure Pleasure re issue? Browsing a few online reviews I see speculation about the source used, either needledrop or CD.
I’m curious as I just discovered, according to the above Analogue Planet article on Nimbus West, that in that case some PP re issues were mastered from CD, the ones not cut by Kevin Gray, this is reportedly stated by Matt Whitehurst who now runs the label.
I have a couple of the non KG cuts from PP, The Call and Flight 17 which are said to be from CD and they dont sound bad, not a complete disaster anyway.
So just wondering about Glass Bead Games

My friend Barry who claims my jazz mind closed when I reached 50 often sends me interesting bits and pieces such as…

So not to disappoint him….
Couple of favourite musicians.
I wonder if Vic was as slyfully (not sure if this is a word) witty as his tromboning usually sounds.
Buddy Tate never made a bad un.
Red Richards usually a dixielander.
The other two? Impeccable.

3 Likes

Try Jazz24. They’re based in Seattle and have a good selection, with no adverts.

Get through the streaming apps or on-line.

DG…

1 Like

Just tried to listen and apparently the station is restricted in our region :man_shrugging:t4:

Jazz 24 is a really good stream but it depends how you do it for access.
I have it on an iPod touch in a dock connected and with being an Apple device they have their own App
Jazz 24 in the App Store.

Laura Judd, The Big Friendly Album, a lively listen.