Jazz Music Thread

Another very listenable Benny Carter

1 Like

Great old school stuff from the Bass master in HiRes

8 Likes

The vinyl is also excellent :ok_hand:

Why are all the players wearing boxers headgear? Maybe in case Mingus throws a punch at them?

4 Likes

Style of the times.

1 Like

A Modern Jazz Symposium Of Music And Poetry With Charles Mingus (credited as Charlie on the front cover for some reason) (New Land/Bethlehem)

A repeat posting but really enjoying this and more so with each repeat play.
Mastered by your man Kevin Gray (despite New Land’s misleading blurb I think and sounds to me like this is mastered from digital, just an observation) and nicely pressed at Pallas in Germany. Recorded 1957 originally on Bethlehem re issued as a 2LP with nice textured gatefold.

Despite the peculiar title there isnt any poetry, just the opening track Scenes In The City which has a spoken word narration that brings to my mind Guru on his 90’s album Jazzmatazz. Otherwise fine solid swinging, Bluesy Jazz

Nb nicely pressed on my copy but have seen some complaints re non fill, maybe I got lucky

1 Like

Horace Tapscott - Tapscott And Winds (Nimbus West)

Previously unreleased Nimbus West session with pianist Horace Tapscott accompanied by Kafi Roberts Sax and Aubrey Roberts Flute, just two extended pieces one per side.

The label has recently come under the helm of Matt Whitehurst who is making efforts to properly re issue the brilliant Nimbus West catalogue with mastering from original tapes by Kevin Gray. Some Previous reissues were not officially licenced and from second rate sources.
Beware some retailers are asking ridiculous prices for these current re issues, I got burned for the last one Jesse Sharp, foolishly paying just shy of £50. I got this for a much more reasonable £28 inc postage from a friendly Discogs seller.

I have casually been exploring the Nimbus West label over the last year or so and the handfull of titles I have so far are consistently excellent. This article from Analogue Planet explains all and well worth a read.

:heart:

Qobuz/Roon Bethlehem version.

Dave

3 Likes

Your opinion Dave?

Not opinion but for what it’s worth on the (3) three Qobuz/Roon versions:

1. The Revola and Bethlehem Records version cover is “… with Charles Mingus”.

2. The Coolnote version cover Is “… with Charlie Mingus”.

Dave

1 Like

Oh I see, hadnt spotted you were highlighting the cover. Interesting that the New Land LP is supposed to be officially licenced from Bethlehem but their using a cover from another label :thinking:

Jazz Monday in Baden.

5 Likes

Couple of favourite old timers with Harris and Tate representing the next generation. Although Harris rollin’ em on G Blues made me think Meade Lux Lewis had been called back.
Gary Sargeant is the guitarist.
On Qobuz.

3 Likes

7 Likes

A taster. Full album out soon.

3 Likes

Very pleasant and relaxing listening

5 Likes

Who?

Even Wikipedia knows Jack…

More mainstream delights. Pretty tasty band although Cranshaw could have turned his amp down a smidge or is it an electrical device.
Seldonoften pops up but his main living was with soul bands.

Decent live recording from Birdland.
On Qobuz.

1 Like

Nice J Jazz reissue from 1978:

5 Likes

Hey @jazzman22 I tried the « Nearness of You » album you suggested. It’s vey nice. Like involvement of James Taylor; fantastic timbre in his voice
Iver

1 Like

Hey @Nick1940 thanks for the Illinois Jacquet album. I didn’t know him, but like his music
Iver