Jazz Music Thread

Time for Lou Donaldson today

Iver

8 Likes

This was released this week and a very interesting listen if you’re in the mood for something reflective and impressionistic.

6 Likes

Melvin Rhyne - Boss Organ

Nice quartet session with Melvin Rhyne as leader after playing on sessions with Wes Montgomery. Joined by Joshua Redman and guitarist Peter Bernstein and drummer Kenny Washington.
The title is a tongue in cheek nod to Wes Montgomery and his Boss Guitar album which Melvin played on

:heart:

4 Likes

Another fine artist who we might loose sight of.
Played mainly around LA during 50/60s and featured for a while with JATP.
Noted for his ballad interpretations and cutting blues.

Fine assembly of class assistants on this collection.
For once the Qobuz commentary is a little useful.

Died aged 50. Shot himself because the stomach cancer was too painful to bare.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Nothing to add.
On Qobuz.

1 Like

6 Likes

This album is a real winner. Top band Top songs Top vocals from the wonderful Chaka

4 Likes

Hiromi - Spark

6 Likes

Best Benson with Hancock, Carter, Laws ,Cobham etc

8 Likes

Recently released, Kenny Barron’s first solo album in over 40 years.

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Super night last night at Shorehams great little Ropetackle Arts Centre.

The first of three initial New Generation Jazz Festival Roadshows. New Generation Jazz is a similar organisation to Jazz Re:Freshed but with the purpose of bringing new Jazz players to wider attention outside of London, particularly in Brighton and the South East.

The first show kicked off brilliantly with a new name to me The Romarna Campbell Trio and a firm favourite with me since her debut album The People Could Fly, Camilla George who played a fantastic set blending Acid Jazz, Funk and Afrobeat style grooves.

2 Likes

Who would have though Patrice Rushen before her move to Soul/R&B (Forget me Nots her

big hit) was an accomplished jazz pianist This, her debut album, featured Tenor sax legend Joe Henderson amongst others. 1974

3 Likes

Teddy living dangerously.
With only chordal help from the bass player you have to be confident.
Sonny Rollins was the first with this format and Joe Henderson followed in his footsteps.
Two fine helpers fill out this arresting performance.
On Qobuz.

4 Likes

One of my favourite LPs.

1 Like

I also like this one a lot, with Greg Cohen as leader.

Shout out!

This weekend only you can blag this Neil Ardley album free and gratis from those generous folks at Jazz In Britain

1 Like

My son would say “super chill” …. Well super-chill it is
Iver

3 Likes

4 Likes

Hi @Blacknote thanks hor the Hiromi recommendation for the Spark album. It’s very nice !
Iver

1 Like