Jazz Music Thread

Chesky unfortunately doesn’t seem to like streaming that much.

By the way there’s also that other rather obscure and unknown album called “Kind Of Blue” that Cobb played the drums on. Several decades earlier that is.

5 Likes

To be listened

3 Likes

It’s on Tidal.

1 Like

Released today…

Streaming via Qobuz/Roon.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

Going back to an old favorite of mine. The highres remaster is quite well done.

12 Likes

It’s on Qubuz. I just typed Kimmy Cobb but make sure “Main artist” is ticked

No luck in this neck of the woods. :cry:

Dave

It probably won’t make your system sound like the thousands of pounds you paid for it……but the music is the thing.
Touff plays bass trumpet which sounds like a valve trombone.
Richie Kamuka a splendid but now almost unknown Lester Young disciple.
Both pianists leave few piano keys unplayed.
Together with a few other Woody Herman herdsman of the time.

All played with a passion that seems lost nowadays.
On Qobuz.

1 Like

A recent recommendation on the London Jazz Collector blog:

2 Likes

Perfect music for a rainy winter afternoon by Dorothy Ashby:

3 Likes

Anders Jormin :pray:

7 Likes

7 Likes

What a nice surprise is this album
Sounds stunning as well
Iver

3 Likes

@Nick1940 Cy Touff is new to me, so I tried your recommendation. Like it a lot. Thanks for sharing !
Iver

1 Like

Very nice live recording
Iver

6 Likes

Really excellent

7 Likes

Joe Henderson - Double Rainbow, The Music Of Antonio Carlos Jobim (Qobuz)

Double Rainbow: The Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim Review

by Scott Yanow

The third of tenor-saxophonist Joe Henderson’s tribute CDs on Verve was originally supposed to be a collaboration with the great bossa nova composer Antonio Carlos Jobim but Jobim’s unexpected death turned this project into a memorial. Henderson performs a dozen of the composer’s works with one of two separate groups: a Brazilian quartet starring pianist Eliane Elias and a jazz trio with pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Christian McBride and drummer Jack DeJohnette. In general, Henderson avoids Jobim’s best-known songs in favor of some of his more obscure (but equally rewarding) melodies and in some cases (such as a very straight-ahead “No More Blues”) the treatments are surprising. Highlights of this very accessible yet unpredictable CD include “Felicidade,” “Triste,” “Zingaro” and a duet with guitarist Oscar Castro-Neves on “Once I Loved,” although all of the performances are quite enjoyable. Highly recommended.

:heart:

9 Likes

Did somebody mention Joe Harriott?

Lining up his superb early sixties album Abstract, leading a fine British band, Shake Keane, Pat Smythe, fellow Jamaican Coleridge Goode, Bobby Orr or Phil Seamen.

Classic album and one of the earliest UK journeys into free’er impressionistic styles of modern Jazz if I’m not mistaken

:heart:

3 Likes

Love the accordion !

2 Likes

I used to enjoy their performances at the Marquee in Oxford Street before the music became too loony for my stunted taste.

I always thought that Phil,with his at times strange antics and the staid exRAF pilot Smythe an entertaining and contrasting pair.

1 Like