Jazz Music Thread

Hi Nick, I tagged you in a post on the new UK Jazz thread recently did you see it? :+1:

Yes, sorry I didn’t reply but I am on a diet of daily hospital visits and a bit……
I live North East Essex so Brighton might as well be in the next Galaxy at the moment.:wink:

1 Like

I am stuck at home again so this week ends labour of love is to sort out who is soloing when on

I think I have Cohn nailed but even Yannow on the AAM page never managed. Three of Lester Young’s earnest disciples.

Ever the geek reliving his youth.

On Qobuz but like a lot of my choices high level systems are never going to make it sound much better.

3 Likes

Butch Miles died early February.
A musician who dabbled in many jazzy areas but my favourite is when he was powering a Basie band.
Wonderful clip of him on YouTube tearing through Whirlybird.

2 Likes

Such was the fantastic recording quality back in those days

Fancy Jazz today.

Played earlier

Now playing

4 Likes

12 Likes

Excellent choices !

1 Like

All on Qobuz and all deserve a listen. Three of Lester’s children that I am studying at the moment.

The jazz horizon is wide.

1 Like

4 Likes

Back to Chet

Today’s listening session has been wonderful so far :grin:

1 Like

Love this

1 Like

I love Kenny Wheeler’s music. Very original compositions and playing. Found this LP in Sydney just recently. One of my favourites.
Stellar line up and great playing.
(Although, I think I read somewhere that Keith J was not so impressed with the outing.)

7 Likes

This is an old favorite of mine. Sextet with Eric Dolphy, and great charts by pianist Geoge Russell. It has a great version of Monk’s “'Round Midnight” featuring Eric Dolphy. From 1961, this is just slightly in an avante-garde style.

George Russell Sextet, Ezz-thetics

2 Likes

Mine too.

Tomorrows Warriors - I Am Warrior (Qobuz)

Enjoying this compilation of new and upcoming UK Jazz talent recorded Live at the Jazz Cafe.

And If you buy the 2LP edition from Bandcamp all the proceeds go to The Tomorrows Warriors Trust and thus a worthy means to support their work in nurturing fresh Jazz talent.

:heart:

3 Likes

I love that album too. I’m not too bothered what Keith Jarrett thinks about it!

1 Like

FWIW Wolfgang Sander’s Keith Jarrett A Biography p.89 makes reference to Jarrett’s comments regarding his playing on the album. He is quoted as saying he “had a lot of trouble trying to deal with playing those kind of changes” and when asked by Manfred Eicher, who put the session together, how he felt replied “I don’t know…this is not my thing, you know.”

1 Like

Interesting. I really enjoy his playing on the album. To be fair, if it wasn’t his thing, he did a great job nevertheless. Credit to his powers as a player. My favourite album of Jarrett’s are from the 70s, My Song.

1 Like

Early Warriors.

Look what I found on Discogs.

She is still teaching and probably as kind a person.

I shall have a listen to the new crop on Qobuz tomorrow.

Buck Clayton jam sessions Mosaic on my headphones at the mo.

3 Likes