Jazz Music Thread

Appealing jazz/country blend

1 Like

Art Pepper - Si In Love
Heart this album first time today; very lively. Like it
Iver

6 Likes

5 Likes

@jazzman22 I heard the “Danish Rain” album several times. Fully agree with your recommendation. It’s ver nice and - on top - very well recorded !
Iver

1 Like

‘West coast modal groove’ as this blog describes it

Thanks for sharing, that’s a very nice album I wasn’t aware of.
If you don’t know it already, I might suggest you to listen to “Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section”.

11 Likes

Now that one very well @Blacknote :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:very nice
Iver

1 Like

@Skeptikal wow, the Paul Quinichette is wonderful. Listening now; sound recording is slightly less but the arrangements are very, very nice
Thanks for recommending
Iver

1 Like

@IvdZ
Thank you and most welcome.
It’s a great album but maybe not the best quality.
I’ll post some others that might take your fancy.
Even as a guest his contributions are super. :+1:t2:

6 Likes

If you like organ and electronic bass guitar, this is a very pleasant listen
Iver

3 Likes

Another great listen. :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Two albums here by very good jazz guitarists. Ernest Ranglin’s ‘Below the Bassline’ a very energetic album and the original is hard to get. Mine was from the recent Record Store Day. Amancio D’Silva’s ‘Konkan Dance’ from the late 60s and features Don Rendell on horns is a great blend of Indian tunes and British jazz. Both are on Qobuz.

6 Likes

Very classy bass player and Uri Caine is always worth hearing.

1 Like

The original LP which I have will cost you a bankers bonus, I decided to get the RSD after the event when a copy came my way for sensible money, I think this new pressing with Abbey Rd mastering sounds better than the original, so worth getting hold of.

Also, if you enjoy BTB I recomend checking out its follow up Memories Of Barber Mack on CD and possibly streaming.

2 Likes

Couldn’t resist, playing my RSD release of BTB now, it is lovely!

1 Like

I did resist as I have the original vinyl and CD, but when I had the opportinity for a reasonable price I thought it would be nice to have in a proper sleeve, the original is in a plain black card sleeve with an OBI style sticker and CD booklet inside. I wasnt expecting it to better my original but surprise surprise to my ears it does.
Just beware the Universal Japan re issue from a few years back.
Enjoy
:heart:

1 Like

I was reading Daryl Runswick’s thoughts that Rollins does not appear on Friday but it is Charlie Rouse. I think he is correct.

However a fine introduction to those unfamiliar with either musician.

A lovely picture of Thelonious, Nellie and the kids that has just popped up on one of my feeds.

estate Jim Marshall

11 Likes

Fabulous Album!

Sonny and Monk’s first pairing was in November 1953, three tracks were recorded for Prestige, Let’s Call This, Think of One and Friday the 13th. The first two appeared initially on a Prestige 45 entitled Thelonious Monk Quintet. All three also were released on a 10-inch LP called Thelonious Monk Quintet Blows for LP, Featuring Sonny Rollins. The musicians were Julius Watkins (fhr), Sonny (ts), Monk (p), Percy Heath (b) and Willie Jones (d).

Dave

But Dave if you listen to Friday 13th closely that is not,I am sure Rollins.
At this time Rouse was also running a group with Julius Watkins.
I can only now find Daryl’s thoughts in the comments for the album on Amazon U.K. Interesting little read however by a musician not an amateur like me.