Jazz Music Thread

Folder
?

2 Likes

Hi @Corry
Your welcome.
Yes they have done a nice job with the replica sleeves, they look and feel really nice, but they are very tight both the inner and outer sleeves.
I couldn’t find any 10" poly lined inners, I got some Nagoka style poly inners that go inside the paper ones once you’ve carefully got the record out. Doesnt solve the tight fit but wont scratch or scuff the vinyl. I will probably get some poly outer sleeves and put the individual sleeves and inners inside and place them in the rack next to the outer box. Adds to the expense of the set, just one of those things.

Art Dudley? Is he a writer for Stereophile? I would be interested to read his review.

I think all the Craft Music/Concord vinyl sets have been well received, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Chet Baker…have a look at their website if you haven’t already.

If you decide to buy this set I will be interested in your findings.

Ps now I need a similar set of the Dial recordings!
Cheers

:grinning:

1 Like

For more Horace Silver try Cape Verdean Blues, I got the Music Matters edition of this, very nice

R-8937944-1471839593-9171.jpeg

7 Likes

Art Dudley was a long time writer for Stereophile. One of the all-time best audio writers, imo. Here’s his review. Sadly, he died recently, after a short illness.

Thanks again for the info. Now I need to decide if I’m going to get it from Acoustic Sounds, my preferred vendor, who has it on pre-order (“Shipping May 2020”), or one of the Discogs vendors, several of whom have it in stock.

1 Like

Jimmy Giuffre 3, 1961 (Jimmy Giuffre-cl, Paul Bley-p, Steve Swallow-b). ECM reissued this Verve in 1992 (2CD, 2LP). Playing CD1 [Fusion]

NP- CD2 [Thesis]

4 Likes

@Corry
It’s easy to forget this is an international forum, I didnt realise you are in the US, I’m in the UK.

I have to say to my ears I disagree with Art Dudley
“But the EQ was somewhat different from the original; in particular, the lowest frequencies had been bumped up. Most bothersome was the fact that note attacks, especially audible in the drums and the double-bass, were smoothed over.”
I have no experience of the originals, however I certainly wouldnt describe what I heard as “bumped up” or “smoothed over”. If the lower frequencies are bumped up on this remastering the originals by comparison must sound extremely tinny and I very much doubt that would be true.
Perhaps system dependent but I just heard a very nicely balanced and transparent transfer. In fact the CD I have does sound “bumped up” and compressed but in so doing is also lacking in collective coherence and insight into the ensemble playing.
I do agree though that it sounds “digital” but not in a nasty way.
Other titles in the Craft Music catalogue have been a mix of digital or analogue mastering and mostly well recieved according to comments on Steve Hoffmans forum.
Be interesting to here your view
Thanks for sharing the link

Lee Konitz - Live at the Half Note. 1959. The unedited issue by Verve/Polygram 1994-2CD set.
Lee Konitz – as, Warne Marsh – ts, Bill Evans – p, Jimmy Garrison – b, Paul Motian – dr

1 Like

Especially this one I find annoying with all these side noises, too much to really enjoy…

2 Likes

Another (preferable) live Bill Evans from the same year:

But there are others. 1968 seems to have been a prolific year for Evans live recordings and benefit from Jack DeJohnette on drums rather than Marty Morell.

Streaming on Qobuz.

6 Likes

It’s a real shame I was really looking forward to it and got a real bargain deal because it had a slightly bent corner.

It was beautifully packaged, three very well pressed records by RTI and mastered by Bernie Grundman it had everything going for it but unfortunately the original recording was such that no amount of mastering could recsue it.

As BertBird mentioned the audience noises which can really enhance some records was too much and at other times the cymbals would be too loud whilst the snare was quiet apparently it was a young college kid who set a few mics up and hoped for the best.

I just heard back from Acoustic Sounds, and they hope to have it in by the end of the week. I’ll report back as soon as I’ve had a chance to acquire and listen to it, hopefully no more than a week or two from now.

Regarding the sound, whatever Art’s criticisms of the remastering, his closing line implies that this set is an essential buy for anyone who doesn’t have the originals, which is good enough for me.

Regarding 10" inner sleeves, these have always been hard to track down. I haven’t looked in a while, so I’ll do another round of searching. If I come up with any good sources, I’ll post that information here.

1 Like

I have really been enjoying this album, especially the 4 solo tracks, so thought it worth highlighting.

Streaming on Qobuz.

Dave

PS re: Keith Jarrett, I think the term is vocalising rather than squeaking. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, that’s the one I was referring to. Fine album,

It was my wife who started referring to Jarrett as the squeaker, which perfectly sums up his irritating vocal accompaniment.

@Corry
Re 10" Sleeves
I got these on Amazon UK, I dont know if there available on the US site

1 Like

You and your wife aren’t listening closely enough then. :grinning:

Seriuosly though, I’ve found there is more of it on some albums than others but you get past it if you concentrate on the piano. Arguably Keith Jarrett is carrying the flame passed to him by Bill Evans.

Dave

1 Like

6 Likes

Sam Rivers - Streams. Live at Montreux, July 1973. Impulse!
Sam Rivers - Streams

2 Likes

Nathan Davis Quartet- Rules of Freedom. Paris, December 1967. OOP! but worth a hunt.
Nathan Davis (fl, ss & ts) - Hampton Hawes, p - Jimmy Garrison, b - Art Taylor dr

Holy moly - that album is amazing! Great playing and wonderful recording.

Definite must listen.

1 Like

A version of “Answer Me” from the July 3, 2016 concert in Budapest was released on 8 May by ECM to mark Keith Jarrett’s 75th birthday.

index

Available on Qobuz and YouTube

An article about the release:

Dave

4 Likes