Jazz Music Thread

Thelonious Monk Quartet - Misterioso

Along with ‘In Action’, both recorded live at the Five Spot Cafe on 7 August, 1958, this album is enjoying repeat plays here currently. As much Johnny Griffin as Monk.

2 Likes

Interestingly, just playing this now. First play. It’s certainly more racy than the previous Gene Ammons I was playing.

I can’t stop playing the above.

Still, I’m enjoying the Sonny piece above.

2 Likes

This has a no pain guarantee as well.
Superb recording and if you like vibes then MJQ Concorde is sublime.

4 Likes

You guys are just great.

I can absorb all your hard earned experience in this field and have an accelerated education :grin: :clap:

It’s a bloody good job CDs are relatively cheap. :shushing_face:

Oh, I already have Lee Konitz thanks to you. I love it and will play next.

1 Like

Thats a shame, Miles played in so many different styles I’m surprised nothing of his floats your boat. Birth Of The Cool for example was an influence on the so called “West Coast” Jazzers, I wouldnt dismiss it out of hand.

I wonder if you might like a bit of Bob Brookmeyers “cool jazz meets swing”

3 Likes

I bet in s few years time Mr Dom will be exploring Miles again. You can’t love jazz and ignore Miles. I reckon he’ll even have multiple copies of On The Corner within five years!

2 Likes

:rofl:

Well, with all the suggestions above, that’s probably another 6-8 CDs that potential are on there way to me :see_no_evil:

Seriously though, listening to music and therefore collecting is probably my biggest passion.

I strongly believe it’s fantastic for our health.

2 Likes

If you prefer your Jazz on the less racy side, as well as The Bridge recommended by @Clive,
I have a particular liking for The Sound Of Sonny the album that iirc preceded Saxophone Collossus.

Try Sound Of Sonny first

If that works, then step up a gear

7 Likes

Not to mention a couple of Ascensions!

I’m still working on that!

1 Like

Don’t mention Coltrane :scream:

2 Likes

As promised, really like this :grin:

3 Likes

Seven Steps to Heaven is worth your time.
My favourite MD album.

1 Like

@MrDom

Actually I will, you would surely like John Coltrane- Ballads. Sublime easy listening but in the very best possible taste.

And I’m not going to let you off the Miles hook just yet. I would struggle to get if you didnt like l’Ascenseur Pour L’echafaud aka Lift To The Scaffold.
Miles improvised film score which imo is a beautiful and enchanting listen

Certainly nothing hear sounding akin to a fire in a pet shop!

11 Likes

Why not? Whilst Ascension still has me scratching my head, A Love Supreme is one of the finest albums ever recorded in any genre.

2 Likes

I agree with A Love Supreme but thereafter for me is where I mostly start bailing out from the studio albums.

I think I’ve got most of them. It’s only Ascension that I still have difficulty with.

I’m playing it now just to see…

5 Likes

In the context of @MrDom
I think John Coltranes earlier Prestige label recordings would be a worthwhile listen. My personal favourite is SoulTrane which includes Paul Chambers, Art Taylor and lovely piano playing of Red Garland.

6 Likes

No offence intended, but I feel the latter spiritual/religious Trane all gets a bit self indulgent and its really only pretentious posers who like to pretend to “get it”.
Just my two bob of course