Jazz Music Thread

Gene Ammons All Stars - Jammin with Gene - 1991 - Prestige Records 00025218621120

Recorded around 1956

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

As @Skeptikal says, Miles explored many avenues within the field of ‘jazz’ - in fact he invented some of them.

Other easy entries to Miles include:
Seven Steps to Heaven (a particular favourite of mine);
ESP;
Someday My Prince Will Come;
My Funny Valentine.

Have a listen to some of these. However, if you don’t like Kind of Blue, then I’d say you’re right to give up.

3 Likes

The opening track on this album, Autumn Leaves, is a classic.

Dave

13 Likes

Recommended

Not sure if anyone mentioned Birth Of The Cool, given your preference for so called West Coast Jazz style, this one might float your boat?

8 Likes

Thoroughly enjoyed these this morning.

7 Likes

First play. Simply beautiful :grin:

15 Likes

Isao Suzuki Trio - Black Orpheus

1 Like

Jeff Lorber Fusion - Impact

1 Like

Enjoying this one today, from the Mosaic box -

5 Likes

Playing now.
Simply beautiful playing/phrasing. You were absolutely right.
This is definitely my speed :grin:

1 Like

I’m glad you like this.
You would really enjoy Ike Quebec.
This album is a super recording to get your teeth into. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Many thanks :grin:
I will definitely check it and I’m sure it will be another fine artist added to my growing collection.
All thanks to members like yourself :handshake:

1 Like

I am sure you would enjoy this one !?

2 Likes

Not sure if you missed my earlier suggestion, did you give Birth Of The Cool a try? Or have you decided that your completely done with Miles Davis now?
Just interested.

Oh I see you like Johnny Hodges as recommended by @Skeptikal, how about these two classics?

5 Likes

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols, many thanks for the recommendation.

However, no I haven’t and decided to completely give up on Miles. Just not my thing. All Miles discs migrated to upstairs box.

I have so many Jazz artists to enjoy and increase my catalogue of their work.

New to me really are Sonny Rollins and Gene Ammons. Absolutely loving their work so far :grin:

1 Like

It’s encouraging to see that your West Coast now extends to NYC! If you’re enjoying Sonny Rollins, try his Village Vanguard set. This is a bit more edgy.

If that’s a tad too far east, you could try The Bridge, which is a longtime favourite of mine.

3 Likes

:rofl:

A Jazz musician (Bass) friend of mine coined the phrase recently when I was describing which artists I particularly like. Seemed a good summary at the time :thinking:

Many thanks for your recommendations :grin: