Jazz Music Thread

Released today: Certainty of Tides by Nils Petter Molvær with the Norwegian Radio Orchestra

3 Likes

Juno download £6.69

Recommended: interesting selection.

It’s me so it won’t be intelectual or delicate.

Al lay in’ it down. The hopelessly underrated Billy Mitchel
Nice to see Dave Burns gets a blow and as a nod to Blue Note Bobby gets a tinkle on his vibraphone.

More from Jordi Pujol. The Michael Cuscuna of the middle way.

On Qobuz.

This is great. Modern be-bop mostly, with a rare cover of Dolphy’s Hat and Beard.

Empirical - Oun ‘n’ In

A fine version of Dolphy’s Hat & Beard on here too. This on the Naim Label.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll have a listen.

Played this one last night, nice late night listening !
Enrico Rava (t)
Tiziana Ghiglioni (voc)
Mal Waldron (p)

3 Likes

Remember seeing them demo that album in Ray’s Jazz at the time it came out. Free 5pm gig in the excellent coffee bar with stage.

One of McCoy’s best with a great band

5 Likes

Witchi tai to.

IMG_1989
With Kirk Lightsey.

Never sure why these performers drop back into my mind.
Jim Pepper. Native American tenor player with a very light tone.
Oscar Petiford was also Native American.
Jim speciality was peyote chanting,perhaps consuming,during his later recordings.
Well worth an investigation. Quite a modern approach to his solos.
Not much on Qobuz. Another with Mal Waldron.

1 Like

Listening to one of @Nick1940 ’s recommendations, my Roon algorithm pointed me at this beauty. Recommended

Iver

4 Likes

Nice to see you back.

Never stepped aside and reading this thread every few days, but unfortunately little time to post here. I know it’s a terrible excuse @Nick1940 :slight_smile:

I think it is very, very difficult to mention one’s favorite jazz artist. There are so many with even so many wonderful jazz styles. Yet, if I had to mention one today it is without a doubt Snorre Kirk. Really recommend you all the listen to a few of his albums. Every composition and track, is spot on. The albums are also very well recorded.

Here is another album I play over and over again

Iver

2 Likes

I agree: following your advice I listened to Going up, then I streamed all his albums. He excels in style and good taste.

1 Like

Thats a good un, as is Tabula Rasa. I got them both as freebies at a Naim event way back when

I agree! I have a lovely LP pressing of that one, will have to fish it out

RIP Carla Bley.

2 Likes

Duets: Carla Bley and Steve Swallow

Review by David Nelson McCarthy AllMusic

With Steve Swallow on bass, their tremendous musical rapport and precise wit are really beautiful. It comes highly recommended.

4 Likes