Jazz Music Thread

Chet Baker & Bill Evans - The Complete Legendary Sessions - American Jazz Classics - 99005

Originally recorded around 1958 & 59 New York

Really loving this. 2nd play already today :grin:

5 Likes

Return to Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy

Although recorded before Al Di Meola joined the band, it remains an exciting listen in the shadow of the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

4 Likes

Great recording live album Joe Morello is really cookin on solos. :scream:

9 Likes

Modern “one mic” Dave Brubeck recording;

2 Likes

3 Likes

Home of the un hip here…
IMG_1974

I only offer these old timers up so they are not forgotten.
Tone poets wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

They make me smile with their gentle humour. Their abilities forged night after night in the Basie or Ellington bands. I like Vic’s bathroom singing style. No stress,no look at me how clever and innovative.

The orchestral Johnny Guarnieri could adopt what ever style you want… bit of Tatum here perhaps Teddy Wilson or something more modern would fit.
Worked for Artie Shaw and Bennie Goodman.

Well recorded in some small studio in Antibes during a festival and sounding fine on Qobuz.

1 Like

IMG_1979

Hidden in the back of a Qobuz cupboard.

7 Likes

Giving the late greats a spin. :+1: :grinning:

Dave

Dizzy_Gillespie's_Big_4

Personnel: Dizzy Gillespie: trumpet; Joe Pass: guitar; Ray Brown: bass; Mickey Roker: drums.

One of Dizzy Gillespie’s best small-group recordings from the latter part of his career.

Enjoy

Dave

6 Likes

Mirror, Mirror Review

by Scott Yanow

Tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson has had a remarkably consistent career. Although he has spent periods (such as the 1970s) in relative obscurity and others as almost a jazz superstar, Henderson’s style and sound has been relatively unchanged since the 1960s. This lesser-known album finds Henderson in typically fine form in an acoustic quartet with pianist Chick Corea, bassist Ron Carter and drummer Billy Higgins. Carter and Corea contribute two songs apiece, Henderson gets to perform his “Joe’s Bolero” and the tenor sounds majestic on “What’s New.”

Recording Date: January, 1980

Enjoy

Dave

3 Likes

OP at his best:

2 Likes

Harry is a wonderful amalgam of Zoot Sims, Al Cohn and Stan Getz. Within this style
Scott Hamilton seems to get most praise but this cd takes some beating.

The German trio are very capable and must have a long association.
The sound on Qobuz is impeccable.

3 Likes

Different sax - the late, great, Gerd Dudek - but the same classy piano from Martin Sasse.

Enjoy

Dave

4 Likes

Randy Brecker - The Brecker Brothers band reunion

‘Young British players solo effectively over compositions styled after the 1960s music of John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner and other hard boppers’

A lot of John Zorn and rather less Masada has appeared on Tidal. This is a recent release, a guitar duet.

1 Like

The Penguin Guide is very much still in print. The latest version goes up to 2010. I’m not certain, but I think this is the 10th edition.

1 Like

as good as it gets

The latest album by the Espen Eriksen Trio and UK saxophone giant Andy Sheppard.

In the words of Andy Sheppard “I knew from the first time I heard the trio play that I would fit right in. I loved the melodic sense and vibe and was thrilled when I was invited to guest with the trio in London in 2016”.

Streaming on Qobuz.

Enjoy

Dave

5 Likes

Another from the John Zorn/Masada dump on Tidal. Modern be-bop. Try the first track.