Jazz Music Thread

Great trio. I love them.

2 Likes

Indeed, a jazz lover can have ambiguous feelings about ECM. When I was 17 in 1975 I bought Abercrombie‘s Timeless and I was blown away. This album made me dig deeper into the modern jazz genre. But ECM turned from avantgarde to very commerical with too much fusion in focus. Today I have problems listening through the whole Timeless album. It‘s lacking - as so many other ECM albums which followed - emotional touch. Chapeau to Manfred Eicher who hit the Zeitgeist with this very intellectual style of music and created one of the most important and successful music labels of all time. Nonetheless I prefer Blue Note.

2 Likes

Talking of ECM - I remember many years ago visiting a wine bar in Lindau, Germany and being very impressed with the non-stop ECM label music being played through the house speaker system (Ralph Towner, Eberhard Weber etc). Only much later did I learn that Manfred Eicher is actually from Lindau and earlier on used to gig in that place and still maintained close links with it.

1 Like

Currently spinning. :saxophone: :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t share your feelings about ECM. I love that label. It has so much to offer, even if it has a lot not to like. I have been a fan since I first discovered it in the mid-70s (incl. Timeless that I still think is a classic). I also listen to a lot of it from the more recent digital era too (via Qobuz/Roon). Love Blue Note too, but not everything it has to offer either. I have about 150 ECM LPs on vinyl (compared to my over 300 Blue Notes on vinyl).

Tomorrow I am getting the new ECM AAA 3-LP reissue of Keith Jarrett’s Solos Concerts Bremen & Lausanne. It’s my favorite Keith Jarrett solo album and I’m excited for a new pristine copy (my U.S.-pressed OG is a bit beat up and noisy now).

1 Like

Have you heard Rick Beato talking about the Lausanne concert?

Dave

1 Like

Also worth checking out a recent interview…

Dave

Don‘t get me wrong, Josquin. Of course, ECM has a lot to offer for jazz addicts like you and me. Sometimes I just need something completely different to the ECM style. That doesn‘t mean that I do not stick to artists like Abercrombie and Pat Metheney, Jan Garbarek and Dave Holland. Congrats to your huge collection.

1 Like

Keith Jarrett is one of the great modern contrapuntists for sure. And all improvised. Amazing. This is why I love this album so much. A gem of the ECM catalog, but also a gem of modern music period.

2 Likes

Not particularly to the current taste,I know,but there is a lot of good gentle music on this cd.

There was another where they both played clarinet for the whole record.

This one on Qobuz.

3 Likes

Whatever their doing with their other hands looks like their enjoying it :wink:

:heart:

3 Likes

Carla Bley orchestrated.

3 Likes

Saw a Louis Hayes on another thread which prompted this. Gregory Porter sings on Song for my Father.

2 Likes

IMG_9078

1 Like

Folder

A Letter To Dexter - and very nice too !

George Cables (p)
Rufus Reid (b)
Victor Lewis (d)

2 Likes

Just listened to Blue Moon, @Skeptikal . It was one of Ahmad Jamal’s albums I hadn’t heart. It is indeed wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation. Very well recorded also by the way.
Iver

2 Likes

Thought of spending a chilly Sunday afternoon with Mr. Scott Hamilton. These two albums stood out for me. His music is very digestible and easy on the ear, yet refined and sophisticated. Love it

Iver

4 Likes

@IvdZ
You’re most welcome I’m glad you enjoyed it. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Mosaic Records have just announced the release of this 10CD set, a must have for fans of Don Byas.

1 Like

I guess Mosaic stopped doing vinyl some time ago. That’s a shame. I have about five box sets they did, including their first ever release of Monk on Blue Note.