Jazz Music Thread

I bought the CD. It’s a great recording, don’t get me wrong. But there seems to be a sort of unbalance between the instruments which gives the drums an unpleasant lead. At least to my ears.

Nice and relaxing.

DG…

2 Likes

Ditto. I looked to, but no luck also. Nor on Amazon Music.

DG…

1 Like

Cd on the river. :+1:t2:

For Corea lovers and drums groove (Dave Weckl), enjoy…

3 Likes

A bit of lunchtime Latin Jazz.

DG…

9 Likes

Sounding particularly good. The drums and cymbals are very crisp and clear, plus the bass is nice and solid.

The version featuring Wynton Marsalis is also an excellent album.

Of the two though, I do prefer the second album.

DG…

1 Like

Super cool instrumental system checker. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Bernie Grundman mastered a cd of this album last year. Couldn’t find that release on Qobuz unfortunately.

Coleman Hawkins encounters Ben Webster - acoustic sounds series release

10 Likes

Wynton’s motherless is one of my Qobuz favourites.

I missed the other one so I shall pour a gin and listen.

Very good film. From whence I heard the soundtrack.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of it, the album aparing recenty on Tidal, l’m still waiting for Time Warp, some Day…

Know What I Mean ? - Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans

Lots of interesting piano underneath the alto.

9 Likes

:sweden:

2 Likes

Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures

I just posted this on the WAYLT thread. Although I like a lot of ‘avant-garde’ jazz, I still find this a challenge. Not in the same league of difficulty as Ascension, perhaps, but still not easy to understand.

3 Likes

I never fully ‘got’ Cecil until I saw him solo on 2 consecutive nights at Jazz Bakery, LA. In between his unique solo piano there was dancing with bells on his pants (sort of like Morris Dancing for one) plus some of his poetry. At that stage it sort of clicked. :face_with_peeking_eye:

Me neither. I bought Unit Structures when it came out (and Conquistador) but didn’t enjoy them much. Love for Sale on Candid remains a favourite though.

From Jazz Samba to Unit Structures in less than 10 posts.
Isn’t that the great thing about jazz - the diversity of the music.
Dave
PS FWIW regarding Cecil Taylor I’m in @Richard camp.

1 Like

I saw him in London many years ago. He signed my ticket.
But it was lost when i moved house. Iam still upset about it.
He was very friendly.

I am a bit tired of Latin jazz, but this is a five star legendary Bossa Nova Album, which remains one of my all time favorites. Stunning performance.