Jazz Music Thread

I remember when that first came out on LP in the late 70s - the poor sound quality was commented on but the historical significance of the release was recognised. If my memory is correct, Henri Renaud then heading up French CBS jazz, was instrumental in getting it out.

1 Like

A classic.

1 Like

This is one of the things I love about Qobuz. Someone recommended I play the solo ECM by the bassist Larry Grenadier, and when it was over Qobuz picked this to play. Serendipidy at it’s best: this album with the great jazz bassist (and living legend, UK treasure) David Holland with Flamenco guitarists and percussionists. It’s great

Hands by David Holland and Pepe Habichuela, et al.

3 Likes

Thanks for this.

Did a search on Qobuz, but couldn’t find it.

DG…

You’re correct. Fortunately I have the CD.
Dave

It’s on Qobuz for me in the U.S. If I search for “Dave Holland” and look at the artist page, it’s under Discography as a 2010 release.

‘Content is no longer available’ on Tidal (UK).

1 Like

I find it incredible

2 Likes

Soweto Kinch’s new Radio 3 show late at night 5 days during the week is proving good listening so far. In my view, quite a bit better than the Sat ‘J to Z’ show that it replaces and stylistically much more varied and interesting. So far, so good.

1 Like

IMG_2270

Harold was a great admirer of Ben Webster and spent some of his later years in Duke’s orchestra.

The accompanying trio with their more modern outlook were not allowed to dominate proceedings according to the cdnotes.

He sounds,like me,old and a little tired but that’s ok.

These Mapleshades have a wonderful old fashioned jazz club ambiance.The piano is an elderly,sweet Steinway,the cymbals are properly recorded and nothing is rushed.

Can’t see it on Qobuz

1 Like

Gary Husband: Songs of Love and Solace. Solo piano. Great version of Wichita Lineman.

This is definitely one of my favourite hard bop albums. I couldn’t count how many times I’ve listened to the first track (st. peter’s walk), it’s pure and addictive hard bop perfection to my ears.

I can take or leave track 3 but all the others are fantastic.

Woody Shaw - for sure my favourite trumpeter - sounds sublime on this album.

And Louis Hayes on drums is a rhythmic force to be reckoned with. I had the pleasure of seeing him play in one of his much later quintets at Ronnie Scott’s. He didn’t disappoint!

Hope you like it, fellow jazzers…

2 Likes

I saw Shaw at Ronnie Scotts. Priceless memories and those Hayes/Cook albums are good !

I remember reading in Melody Maker back in the day that there was a Shaw/Cook altercation onstage during their 1977 (I think) season at Ronnies. Wish I had kept the article so I could check.

1 Like

You’re a lucky man, it must have been amazing to see Woody Shaw.

1 Like

Yes, saw him two consecutive nights, the quintet with Steve Turre and Mulgrew Miller. Pretty well at his peak at that time, vividly remember him practicing tai chi on stage whilst others took solos. Probably the greatest trumpeter I ever saw.

By all accounts Shaw was a phenomenon. Could sight read perfectly, awesome technique and with a very advanced concept of jazz drawing on classical influences inc. Bartok. If he had been 5-10 years older he would have been a star on Blue Note but sadly his peak years coincided with a public loss of interest in acoustic jazz (and, to his great credit, Shaw was never willing to compromise).

1 Like

Good point about his age, it does explain why he tends to get overlooked and not put in the same bracket of the big name trumpet players like Hubbard, Morgan, et al.

His death was a truly horrible way to go. He was almost blind at the time when he was run down by a subway train. His arm had to be amputated and then he was unconscious for a month before he died. A great shame and a big loss to the jazz world.

He apparently had perfect pitch

1 Like

And an almost photographic memory.

1 Like

If anyone fancies a listen to Woody, Rosewood is one of his best albums…

1 Like

Unfortunately, Woody also had a very heavy hard drugs problem, which seems to have had serious adverse impact as the 80s went on. At the time I saw him he was still running the regular quintet but by mid decade it was mainly touring pick-up groups. All very sad.

1 Like