Jazz Music Thread

The concept of a ‘Class A drug’ was not invented until 1971 (by some colossally stupid UK policy makers).

Also, the term ‘narcotic’ is from the ancient Greek for ‘put to sleep’.

Not an appropriate term for the creative culture of Miles Davis, McLaughlin et al in the late 60s.

1 Like

They’re all furiously doing yoga and drinking herbal tea in their LA mansions desperately trying to stave off the grim reaper for another decade.

1 Like

Aren’t we all?

1 Like

Perhaps not the LA mansions though.

I prefer Lancashire.

Can’t fault you there JD.

1 Like

I love that album. I bought the Tone Poet reissue when it came out and it sounds fantastic. Kevin Gray cut the remastered version and did a great job on it. Now I also have a test pressing that Joe Harley sent me. Even better!

Also check out A.R.C. (with David Holland and Barry Altschul) on the ECM label and the later ECM Trio Music albums that reunite Chick with Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes.

We have seen Chick with his touring trio twice in recent years (2017 and 2019). Great stuff.

2 Likes

Chick Corea (fest) - The Song of Singing. Blue Note 1971, recorded 1970.
Chick Corea- piano & keyboards, Dave Holland- bass, Barry Altschul, drums

6 Likes

The CC talk made me pull this off the shelf to play.

7 Likes

Chick Corea Eddy Gomez Paul Motian - Further Explorations. Recorded live at the Blue Note New York City in Feb. 2010 (homage to Bill Evans)

jazztimes article:

5 Likes

51t182z2NwL._AC_1

I really miss the late and very great Michael Brecker. My all time favourite horn player bar none. I was lucky enough to see him as the artist in residence at the North Sea Jazz festival in 2005. This was just a few months before his sad diagnosis. He played in all formats that weekend - big band, bebop, funk, ballads, fusion - he even sat in with some local free jazz lunatics and blew them off the stage. He had complete command of his instrument and was a brilliant soloist. He was a terrible loss.

This album is well known by Brecker fans but not so much by anyone else. This is the first all acoustic version of Steps Ahead - known at the time simply as Steps - and is a live double recorded in Japan. It usually costs a king’s ransome to buy so you’ve been warned. The band only recorded as this line up once before they quickly moved to become Steps Ahead. It is regarded - by many jazz aficionados - the best recorded work of Brecker, Steve Gadd and Don Grolnick. And given the number of records they have played on - that is saying something. Brecker is on fire throughout and the album includes his legendary solo on Sara’s Touch that is used by many sax students as a model for technique. This solo also causes some horn players to pack up and go home. Gadd is meanwhile sympathetic to the groove but also highly aggressive , and Grolinick solos on many tracks which is unusual for someone usually known more as an accompanist. It is a stupendous album - beautifully recorded - but will cost you. I’d classify it as acoustic fusion, but the tunes are uniformly excellent and each includes extensive soloing. Apparantly, there are a few vinyl doubles knocking around but I’ve never seem one. RIP Mike Brecker and Don Grolnick.

8 Likes

Another great lockdown treat. Carla Bley - Life goes on. Just what I need after 6 hours on Zoom!

10 Likes

A truly magnificent album, Geoff.

1 Like

Echo that.
Pantheon material.

Trying out a new pre amp tonight and wanted to play some records that haven’t been on rotation in a while first up Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train I have two copies and so I played one side from each, first was side 2 of the 1963 UK Mono release and then side one the Back to Black from a few years ago.

9 Likes

I completely forgot I had this and to be honest I’m a bit dismissive of these types of Jazz reissues which in this case has been proved the wrong attitude.
Oscar Peterson Plays The Cole Porter Song Book - Jazz Wax Records
remastered DMM pressing .
As with almost all the other DMM pressings I have this sounds very good and is housed in a really nice anti static inner.

!
IMG_1471|375x500

5 Likes

Again I can’t remember where I got this but it’s condition for a record pressed in 1964 is excellent.
Ella Fitzgerald - Songs From the Jerome Kern Song Book Verve UK 1964

6 Likes

Picked my copy of that Japanese 2LP set up for about £7 some years back ! Recorded at Tokyo’s fabled Pit-Inn.

1 Like

You lucky **%!@$$!.

I’ll give you £8 for it.

1 Like

The Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section CD arrived = Fantastic.

What can forumites recommend in a similar vein with the same high quality of recording?

1 Like