Jazz Music Thread

Art Pepper & Sonny Red - To Altos - Regent Records 1993,

I’ve been after a copy of this since I first heard it after discovering Sonny Redd via Art Pepper a couple of years ago. Prices are usually very high but I’ve just found a copy in Japan from 1993 it’s not cheap £35 inc p&p but worth every penny.
A stellar line up including Pepper Adams, Elvin Jones, Russ Freeman and Wynton Kelly.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the detailed information, I’ll take a look at these at the next opportunity.

1 Like

2 Likes

Lovely!
Just to mention for those that stream or buy downloads (like me!) that this and also the Steps “Smokin’ in the Pit” mentioned above by @Numptyhead are available in CD quality at Qobuz (for much less money obviously)

This is an great short live recording of Miles from the mid 70s - that crackling energy of percussion, keyboards, guitars and brass.

Gives a point of comparison for LPs like Agartha and Dark Magus - to see how at home the band was with the base material they used to improvise around.

3 Likes

The channel it comes from - Milestones: A Miles Davis Archive - is a treasure trove of Miles live recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrWdmFiEms9vUgrgUVhF0Fg

Also on the Groove Note label, worth checking out Roy Gaines I Got The T Bone Walker Blues

:grinning:

1 Like

very nice album – all of hers are very well recorded.

1 Like

Chihiro Yamanaka ‎- Syncopation Hazard - Blue note, 2015

What a lovely album.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation - listening to this one for the first time in the McMaster CD remastered version. Great sessions with Joe Henderson, JJ Johnson, Woody Shaw, Bob Cranshaw and Roger Humphries!

Many folks prefer the older McMaster Blue Note releases when compared to the newer RvG versions…not sure I completely agree but this one is sounding quite nice!!!

1 Like

I’m having a bit of a Lee Morgan evening he’s not my number one favourite but he was no doubt about it a supremely talented young man who burst on to the jazz scene whilst still a teenager and went on to write much of his own material some of which like Search For The New Land which has one of my favourite jazz intro’s ever was way before it’s time.
He did however have bad taste in women or at least was very bad at picking which ones to mess with.
Lee Morgan - Cornbread - Tone Poet, Blue Note 2019.
Lee Morgan - Sidewinder - Blue Note 1997
Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land - Blue Note -2014

4 Likes

If you have Netflix, ‘I Called Him Morgan’, a film about his life, is very good.

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads up I did watch it and yes it’s excellent. What an eventful life!

1 Like

Sorry not concentrating. I am busy loading about 65 years worth of music on to a hard drive. Hah preparing for the care home. (Not quite yet). This a gem I have rediscovered. Available on Qobuz.
I used to love live music and saw Alan a few times always purchasing the promotional cd.
This is a fine interpretation of some ofAP’s music.

1 Like

And another little gem. All players are exceptional but drummer Winston Clifford is in the true tradition of Billy Higgins.

3 Likes

One last joy before I take the dog on the beach.
Old men with so much zest in their playing.
And yes I think I have most of whatMonk recorded apart from the endless number of quartets.
Available on your usual providers.image

1 Like

4 Likes

Grant Green - the Last Session - Atlantis
Not his best work by a very long shot but interesting all the same.

KM

2 Likes