Jazz Music Thread

Sphere - Present Tense

I used to love seeing this band in the 1980s. Geoff Williams was such an exciting player. Unfortunately I don’t think it was ever released in the CD format, but it’s recorded at a sufficient level to mask the usual vinyl noise.

1 Like

Brad Mehldau Suite: April 2020

Streaming on Qobuz

Dave

3 Likes

Yes, great doco.

A sad tale indeed.

Yes.
When I woke up at 5am and opened Qobuz 2 days ago, I found quite a crop of new LPs.
The Brad Mehldau one, Suite.
Ambrose Akinmusire, ‘On the Tender Spot of Every…’
GoGo Penguin, eponymous.

I didn’t recognise Andy Shepard in the cover photo. :flushed:

I spoke a while ago why I could not dispose of my CD player and Cadillac records is a good reason to keep the CD5x.
A fine collection of British Jazz which is often available on cd but not on Qobuz.
Easiest listings via Discogs. Google wants to tell you all about a film titled Cadillac Records.
N[quote=“Clive, post:1001, topic:2050, full:true”]

Sphere - Present Tense

I used to love seeing this band in the 1980s. Geoff Williams was such an exciting player. Unfortunately I don’t think it was ever released in the CD format, but it’s recorded at a sufficient level to mask the usual vinyl noise.
[/quote]

Nathan Davis. A name unknown to me.
Qobuz has a few titles.
I shall listen to the London Night record after dog walking.
Example track sounded Jazz Messengers/Johnny Griffin…ish.
Thank you.
N

1 Like

This one up on Qobuz this week, by Boney James, sounding great on my NDX2/XPSDR

Just out on Bandcamp.

2 Likes

Chihiro Yamanaka - Utopia

@PeakMan you might be interested in this album too

2 Likes

Chico Hamilton and Euphoria - My Panamanian Friend. A 1992 tribute to Eric Dolphy. Soul Note, 1994 CD release.
ERIC PERSON, alto sax, flute
CARY DeNIGRIS, guitar
KENNY DAVIS, bass
CHICO HAMILTON, drums

1 Like

I was fortunate enough to see that very Chico Hamilton lineup back in the early 1990s. Superb !

1 Like

Great lineup:

Spanky features McBride, Brown and Hinton in a double bass trio.

I think this may have been Christian McBride’s first album as a leader.

1 Like

Some excellent British Jazz from a ‘youngish’ quartet based in London lead by Saxophonist James Allsopp featuring Ross Stanley - Piano, Riaan Vosloo - Bass and Tim Giles on Drums. Both records are made up of Jazz standards and are released on Impossible Ark Records from my home town Brighton.
Even though they are both limited to only 300 copies each and are not available on any other format they are both still available for less than £20 on Discogs which is an absolute steal.

Allsopp Vosloo Stanley Giles - Once In a While - Impossible Ark Records (2012)

James Allsopp Quartet - I’m a Fool To Want You - Impossible Ark Records (2016)

3 Likes

Saw this band play this live back in 95 at a club called the Rythmic in Islington. Good stuff

1 Like

Right now I’m listening to Art Pepper’s The Trip on LP (The stunning Boplicity issue from the 80s). Such a great album, the title tune composed when he was in San Quentin.

3 Likes

Hope it’s ok to post this link, some exciting audiophile reissues on the near horizon.

Sorry csnt get link to embed. See below

Neil that link is no good. Better to just refer to the Analogplanet announcement of a few days ago, which gives all the details.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/verve-label-groupume-announces-chad-kassem-supervised-all-analog-classic-jazz-reissue-series

1 Like

Ok, Thank you Richard.

Still ripping to the hard drive and came across this forgotten cd.
Whilst I am a great fan of Milt Jackson‘s output this is about as far as I wish to follow Brother Coltrane’s career.
Must have enjoyed it as I played it twice.
N

6 Likes