Jazz Music Thread

Haven’t heard of the label before but very familiar with the address will check them out.
Cheers
:grinning:

1 Like

Christ on a bike, what a band line up…Gadd and Patitucci…

2 Likes

@Neilb1906 That’s Russell Ferrante of The Yellowjackets who has some chops too! :blush:

2 Likes

I am fortunate to have recently acquired a nice minty vinyl copy of Yellowjackets, played it just the other day, very enjoyable :+1:

I could easily imagine [ a long haired ] Larry Carlton jamming along in there too, his sort of territory & style, probably why i like the Yellowjackets album so much :smile:

2 Likes

Heard him on this? phenomenal

4 Likes

Some recordings of Petrucciani and Shorter together on this album live at Montreux.

8 Likes

Great tenor solo by paul gonsalves. I saw him at ronnie scotts

Hi @PatM, just tried Petrucciani NHØP and agree, wonderful live album. Piano work is splendid

Iver

1 Like

Locked Down Jazz Appreciation - Album of the Week

15: Oliver Nelson: The Blues And The Abstract Truth (Impulse!)
St Louis-born Nelson was a talented saxophonist who could play both the tenor and alto varieties, but who earned more fame during his relatively short career as a masterful arranger who could turn his hand to TV soundtracks and movie scores. After three years recording for the Prestige label, Nelson joined producer Creed Taylor at ABC Paramount’s newly founded jazz imprint, Impulse!, in 1961. His debut album was the magnificent The Blues And The Abstract Truth, on which Nelson led a stellar septet whose ranks included Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy and Bill Evans. It’s an album whose every facet – from the material, arrangements, ensemble work and solo passages – blends perfectly to create an exquisite whole. In terms of its elegance, though, nothing surpasses the superlative opener, ‘Stolen Moments’.

Key song: ‘Stolen Moments’

In 2015 Dave and Judith O’Higgins assembled an excellent band of British musicians and breath fresh life into an all time jazz classic…

71Kaq+e-ooL.SS500

Enjoy the music and stay safe.

Dave

12 Likes

I enjoy all of the Presige recordings that Oliver made. (( but then I am an old reactionary))
The title track was probably a juke box favourite.
Eric Dolphy as well.
Nimage
On Qobuz

4 Likes

Three cds recently purchased but might be of more interest here.
Two appreciations of the MJQ. Quickly all participants point out that these are not copies but their interpretations.
And rightfully so ;you could pick here and pick there …neither bassist quite catches Percy Heath’s tone and precision,Steve Brown (drummer on all three) should have looked for some of Connie Kay’s knitting needle sticks etc. But they are very fine records in their own right.

Vasilis Xenopoulos might be in un familiar to you but he is a huge toned tenor player in the tradition of Stanley Turentine.Nigel Price is well covered by Qobuz.

Remember when we are beyond Covid all these men will desperately need your love and support. Give them your spare money in stead of the Sony Entertainment Corp.
Nimage image

2 Likes

Lucky you.
Thumbs up for Ronnie Scotts.

2 Likes

:+1:

Great choice again jazzman22. I don’t own many CD’s these days but The Blues And The Abstract Truth is one now ripped and played via my Fiio M9 an incredible record played by an incredible line up.

1 Like

Miles Davis - Friday & Saturday Nights Miles Davis In Person At The Blackhawk San Francisco - Columbia six eye 1st press.
One of my favourite live recordings by Miles and one of only two Miles original ‘6 eye’ records I own it’s by no means mint condition but sounds incredible.

6 Likes

A little Afro Cuban jazz
hugh kenny ray sons

2 Likes

The cd is expensive £29 i do not know the reason why ?

Could someone answer an old man’s
question?
Why is it that so much of the music you favour was recorded so long ago? Whilst I was still in school.
Is it better music?
Are certain names and periods more promoted than others?
I can’t believe there is any one on this thread older than me yet I seem to recommend more contemporary music.
This is a genuine interest with no wish to wind anybody up.
N

Recently I posted Brad Mehldau Suite: April 2020.
You can’t get much more contemporary than that. :grinning:

Dave

PS and I’m no spring chicken!