Jazz Music Thread

Hi @jazzman22, playing the album right now. I love it; what a talent !!

1 Like

We like it. The date of the recording is irrelevant.

Would you ask a classical fan why they like Beethoven?

2 Likes

In those days we had jazz legends. I saw Armstrong. Basie. Hawkins.
George lewis. Ellington. Gillespie. They cannot be replaced

3 Likes

I like old stuff, I like new stuff. There has been good and bad music throughout the ages. I just think at the moment there are all these excellent reissues of classic jazz albums after decades(?) of not so good re-releases on CD etc Also of course I’m 55 with 45+ years of record collecting behind me so a lot in the racks to refer to.

Edit: and of course there is a lot of music I missed :grinning:

When i was at school i could not afford jazz vinyl. With CDS.
It is Christmas every day Some are very cheap.

1 Like

Most welcome news. However reading the comments under the Analogue Planet news article there is discussion/speculation on the source material being used as some original masters were destroyed in the fire at the Universal lot.
Apparently some tapes were not lost, and where they have, UMe have been recalling copy masters from around the world and/or other existing metal parts are being used.

@Richard.Dane perhaps when these titles start emerging a separate could be started to discuss and sort any wheat from any chaff (if there is any) from this series?

By all means. There are a few I would like myself. Do we know whether they are being officially released and distributed in the UK, or will they just be 3rd party imports?

Not sure Richard, it appears for example that Amazon UK, Juno & Diverse Vinyl
have the Getz Gilberto as a pre order for £36

Just to add some confusion whilst searching for more information I discovered that UMe already (last year) did a reissue series from the Verve & Impulse labels.
Anyone know anything more about these?

Because good music is timeless no matter when it was recorded, as opposed to average life.
I was very happy to hear a new recording of Led Zeppelin but they only recorded between 1968 - 1980, it doesn’t make me old, on the contrary.

Moving on from Live at the Blackhawk…
Miles Davis - Miles Davis in Europe - Columbia U.S 1st press (2 Eye) 1964
Recorded live at the Antibes International Jazz Festival Juan-Les-Pins 1963

6 Likes

£36 +p&p is bit steep really I’d wait until the rush dies down and pick them off when the price drops many of the Tone Poets are available at much reduced prices now.

I’d love a decent remaster of Coltrane’s Ballads though and Peggy Lee’s Black Coffee looks interesting.

1 Like

More live Miles.

Miles Davis - Miles Davis At Carnegie Hall - CBS U.K (1962)
Recorded live May 19th 1961.

4 Likes

I’m agnostic to the date of composing and recording.

Paul Bley wrote and improvised wonderful music from the 50s through to 2016.

Miles worked from the 40s to 1991, but I love best his stuff from Bitches Brew to ‘75.

But now we have John Zorn, GoGo Penguin, Szun Waves, Brad Mehldau…and the whole evolving assemblage of ECM and all its offshoots…and Robert Glasper et al at Blue Note…and they are all jamming and drinking there together - the dead and the undead - with us, with Bukowski, with Henry Miller, in the Crypts of Time…

Miles live again…

Miles Davis & Sonny Stitt - Live in Stockholm 1960 - Dragon Records, Sweden (1986)

Record for Swedish radio at the Konserthuset 1960.

4 Likes

One of favourite (double) LPs
Don’t forget the one with John Coltrane ?!

5 Likes

Fantastic record but it’s missing from my collection at the moment until find a copy that is reasonably priced.

This a superb LP.

1 Like

And don’t forget those recorded without Miles!

There may be others.

4 Likes

As mentioned earlier by @Bobthebuilder

https://impossiblearkrecords.bandcamp.com/

1 Like