Jazz Music Thread

Great heads up these small independents should be supported .
Unfortunately The James Allsopp Quartet - I’m a Fool To Want You vinyl has sold out but the Flac download is a bargain at £7.

Just bought Bosco by The Dave Storey Trio for £7 + p&p on Discogs again this is limited to only 300 copies.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. On Bandcamp (and in the metadata) the artist is listed as the record label, not Jamie Allsopp, if anyone is looking to buy.

1 Like

It’s all new to me so I might try the various artist compilation and take it from there

So much good stuff out there

1 Like

Keith Jarrett & Charlie Haden - Last Dance - ECM

Two of the very best musicians of any genre, just listening to one of my favourite Jazz standards ‘Everything Happens To Me’ there are so many excellent versions of this beautiful track and this is right up there.

6 Likes

Yes and it was sounding exceptionally good tonight PatM.
Vinyl replay can be a bit frustrating to get right you either have to throw lot of money it or as in my case get very creative but when you do get it right it can sound really alive.

Cool background info.

My favourite Charlie Haden are Naim’s Private Collection recordings.
I have both Vol 1 & 2 (the original CD versions)
And the 3LP set is also superb
R-7113790-1434014258-9667.jpeg R-3326557-1573396407-5495.png

11 Likes

Then I strongly recommend this one, the Montreal Tapes Vol. 2, with Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell. Don Cherry really lifts it a league or two.

4 Likes

Obvious choice also with Don Cherry alongside Charlie Haden

11 Likes

A milestone of jazz, The Shape of Jazz to Come. And what has now become a jazz standard, the marvellous Lonely Woman opening track (extended by Haden on the Private Collection and the Montreal Tapes mentioned above).

1 Like

I dont think it was critically well recieved but I like this.
Laid back easy listening but not in a bad way. With Charlie Haden exploring, not the usual sort of Cuban/Latin fare, but unusually the Bolero.

R-827214-1416849193-4629.jpeg R-827214-1416849391-7744.jpeg

7 Likes

It’s well received here!

2 Likes

Since we’re posting Charlie Haden here’s two of my favourites:

Unknown-1 Unknown

3 Likes

I’m sure I have more Charlie Haden in my collection but would have to go rummage.
Right now I’m in my garden north of 30C literally exuding blood, sweat n tears battling with digging out a massive dead tree route.
I’m going to need a couple of cold ones and some musical soothing after this, maybe Charlie Haden!

Charlie Haden Jim Hall - recorded at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, July 1990 and released in 2014, Impulse!
wiki:
The Absolute Sound’s Derk Richardson noted, “These eight songs, preserved in exquisite sonic detail—warm and sculpted from top to bottom, filling up huge but keenly defined aural space— are an unexpected bonanza for lovers of pure melody, improvised harmony, and the radiant sunset tones that these two men perfected on their respective instruments”

11 Likes

While we’re on the subject of Charlie Haden plus famous guitar player, this is a rather fine, if easy listening, album. It’s also one which Jason uses frequently in Naim Audio demonstrations, by playing the rather gorgeous track The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

18 Likes

Great record unfortunately no vinyl release as yet!

Just arrived from France.

Horace Parlan Quintet - Speakin’ my Piece. Blue Note Japanese reissue 1993.

2 Likes

Been watching some YT videos of
ANDREA MOTIS JOAN CHAMORRO QUINTET & SCOTT HAMILTON

1 Like