Jazz Music Thread

Memories are made of this…

Live at Poole, Dorset, August 2008.

“A pleasingly large crowd at the 1500 seater Lighthouse gave them a deserved standing ovation and the quartet returned for two encores.” thejazzman.com

Dave

4 Likes

One of my favourite Gary Burton/Pat Metheny albums…

Personnel

The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4 stars, stating, “Although none of the individual songs caught on, the attractive sound of the post-bop unit and an opportunity to hear Pat Metheny in his formative period make this a CD reissue worth exploring”

Recorded 1976

Dave

5 Likes

Roland Hanna with George Mraz - Sir Elf plus 1.
1978 Choice Vinyl.
2013 CD version (on Qobuz as well)

Branford Marsalis - Royal Garden Blues. From 1986- Sony CD.
An homage to New Orleans the ‘birthplace of Jazz’.
Branford Marsalis on saxophones with varied accompanists:
Herbie Hancock, Ellis Marsalis, Kenny Kirkland -piano, Ron Carter -bass, Marvin “Smitty” Smith -drums.

3 Likes

Still by far his best album for me. And I agree to some of the comments, seeing him in concerts is a mixed bag, and I have never seen a memorable concert with him so far…

7 Likes

There are two ECM albums with Stanley Clarke that I like. Chick Corea’s Return to Forever and Stanley Cowell’s Illusion Suite. With School Days and onward, he migrated more towards commercial pop/fusion jazz, which I don’t care for and also (IMO) feel was a waste of his talent at the time for jazz.

I saw Return to Forever in concert when he was still playing a concert double bass, and he was amazing playing that.

1 Like

Another all star collaboration with results that match the billing…

Personnel

Released: 1998

Dave

8 Likes

Love this Branford Marsalis exploration of The Blues
I Heard You Twice The First Time
Branford_Marsalis_I_Heard_You_Twice

https://www.branfordmarsalis.com/albums/i-heard-you-twice-first-time

6 Likes

And Buckshot LeFonque
buckshot_0

https://www.branfordmarsalis.com/albums/buckshot-lefonque
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hope I am allowed to post a youtube clip and apologies if you have seen this, but a 45 minutes not wasted.

3 Likes

That is a splendid video. Thank you so much for posting.

Miles Davis - Tallest Trees - Prestige French Pressing (1982)
Excellent compilation from Miles’s Prestige releases.

2 Likes

Ah just listening to Hayden, Bley, Motian Live MONTREAL Tapes again.

Such fun they had.

Truly masterful performance.

1 Like

I’ll have to check this out as well. I’m just discovering Christian McBride…

Off topic alot mate

Understood. I’m just a Jazz fan looking for Speakers that sound good with my primary taste of music. I’ll ask the question elsewhere.

I was just exposed to this recording:

8 Likes

SL2s.

1 Like

Thanks! I deleted the post as not to derail this thread but seriously thanks for responding.

P.S. Andy Sheppard and John Parricelli. CD. Sax and Guitar.unnamed 71Y7+ZiG0uL.SS500

4 Likes