Jazz Music Thread

In a nutshell, they are designed to reproduce the sound of acoustic instruments.

IMO that’s relevant to a jazz music :thread:

I’m using a pair right now to listen to the sounds of Paul Bley, Gary Peacock and the drum genius Paul Motian performing an amazingly brilliant gig in Lugano, Italy in 1999 on the LP When Will the Blues Leave. :notes:

1 Like

Allae’s or just about any system that plays music

1 Like

To my opinion one of the best albums of Lee Morgan
Iver

11 Likes

Love it, but for me theres no getting away from this groove…

:sunglasses:

8 Likes

From 1957, Lee Morgan a few months short of 19:
Originally issued as 12-inch album entitled “Howard Rumsey’s Lighthouse All-Stars Host Charlie Persip’s Jazz Statesmen ‎–Double Or Nothin’” Lighthouse Series Volume One (Liberty RLP 3045).
Fresh Sound CD.
From freshsoundrecords website:

"Rare recordings produced by Howard Rumsey with his incredible Howard Rumsey’s Lighthouse All Stars and Charles Persip’s Jazz Statesmen.

“There was only a short week in which to record, so we made a date for a double session at Liberty’s fabulous new studios… Lee Morgan and Frank Rosolino flipped into some original dance steps at the sound of the playbacks. It was a happy date.”

-Howard Rumsey"

1 Like

Wonder if you can help?
Went on to ‘FreshSounds’ to buy it
Code FSRCD 332 - but no mention if it is a CD or LP anywhere ?
At <£9 & with the letters CD in the code it is a CD (which is what I want) ?
Thanks

@Ian
Hi,
FSR-CD 332 is the re-issued CD (2003, Spain). The earlier one being FSR-CD 197 (1992, Switzerland) and both of these had the extra track Bye Bye Blues (not on LP)

1 Like

Finally all the jazz cds are on a hard drive.
Saved the best till the end Z for Zoot.
I have more of his cds than any other artist.
Two favourites from his later period. If you have a listen don’t forget Jimmy Rowles. Another favourite and author of The Peacocks.image

N

4 Likes

Great saxophonist. My favourite:

3 Likes

CS453758-01A-MED

My favourite Gary Bartz vinyl is currently £14 at Juno. Juno seem to have some interesting vinyl sources at the moment.
GB uses a funk bank to play straight ahead and bop on the album and it works. The title track includes many references to Coltrane’s A Love Supreme, and the reading of My Funny Valentine features the late great Syreeta Wright on vocals.

Recorded live at Jazzhouse Slukefter, Copenhagen,
August 24, 1978.

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

Formerly put out by Storyville, this audiophile CD reissue features the great Zoot Sims performing in a quartet with bassist Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and two notable expatriates: pianist Kenny Drew and drummer Ed Thigpen. Sims, who doubles here on soprano, is in typically swinging form on such numbers as “Too Close for Comfort,” “In a Mellowtone,” an extended, nearly ten-minute rendition of “All the Things You Are,” and “It’s All Right with Me.” The supporting rhythm section is perfect for this style of music, and Sims is heard throughout in prime form.

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

It is strange that this album was not released until the CD came out in 1990, for tenor saxophonist Zoot Sims and pianist Jimmy Rowles’ tribute to Billie Holiday is melodic, tasteful, and largely memorable. Together with bassist George Mraz and drummer Jackie Williams back in 1978, they perform 11 songs associated with Holiday, including quite a few that would have been lost in obscurity if Lady Day had not uplifted them with her recordings. Highlights include “Easy Living,” “Some Other Spring,” “I Cried for You,” “Body and Soul,” and “You’re My Thrill.” A lyrical and heartfelt tribute.

Recording Date April 10, 1978 & April 11, 1978

Enjoy

Dave

Got it!
Thanks.
N

1 Like

Got em!
Thanks.
N
Both of Bill Crow’s books (bass player with Gerry Mulligan) have some fabulous stories of Zoot’s life.
Jazz Anecdotes or Birdland to Broadway. Worth a read. Might be available from your library.

1 Like

Your post inspired me to play this LP I have had for a long time - going to buy a few more now - yet another person on here costing me a small fortune - thank you
Do like Brookmeyer on the valve trombone & I believe Zoot singing too - not bad !?

Zoot Sims (s) (voc)
Bob Brookmeyer (tr)
Hank Jones §
Bill Crow (b)
Jo Jones (d)

2 Likes

Yes , a small fortune. The daughter will be lacking an inheritance.
I do not have this one.
Thanks
N

Qobuz is the answer. :grinning:

Dave

PS and then Roon.

Yes I see it on Qobuz now.
I will investigate Roon later.
New Naim niceness is rapidly approaching so that will keep me busy for a while.
N

John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads - Impulse/GRP Records RM,RE (1995)
One of my favourite Coltrane records ‘Ballads’ sees him in a more restrained and laid back mood in which he lets the excellent Jimmy Garrison, Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner take centre stage more.
I’m really looking forward to the Verve/Impulse reissue later this year this copy has been well remastered at Capitol but I’d love to hear a newer and fresher remaster.

7 Likes

Alba. John Parricelli. CD. Always enjoy this.513EVtPWX6L.AC

1 Like

That’s a great album, unfortunately the last one he’s made under his own name. More please John.