Jazz Music Thread

Sunday morning music…

2 Likes
1 Like

This is tempting me!

Product Description

LIMITED EDITION VINYL BOX SET (ONLY WHILST STOCKS LAST). The first career-spanning collection of recordings by legendary jazz vibraphonist and multi-GRAMMY® Award winner GARY BURTON. Features: five 180-gram vinyl LPs pressed at RTI; 35 definitive tracks, including a previously unreleased recording of “Elucidation”; an all-star cast of jazz greats; deluxe 12-page booklet featuring rare photos, ephemera and insightful liner notes by GRAMMY® Award-winning writer Neil Tesser; digital download card included.

The only thing that puts me off is the £130 + price tag,
Very expensive for 5 LPs, even if they are nicely pressed by RTI

JPC price is €129.99 which translates into £120 to include postage.

If it was anything south of 100 quid i’d probably go ahead and buy it :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hi Bobthebuilder

I first bought Coltrane’s Ballads LP at a public record library sale nearly 50 years ago and have played it many times since, and later the CD version and now mainly streamed. This is some of my favourite jazz playing and one I never tire of how often I play it

Bob

1 Like

Me too great record.

I have two vinyl copies an impulse release from the 90’s and a Jasmin from the 80’s unfortunately 1st press copies and the more exotic remasters are silly money but even so the ones I have s more than decent.

1 Like

re: Gary Burton Retropective

On Qobuz you can download the CD quality version for £15.98 or £23.98 for the Hi-Res version.

If the music is the prioriity then a bit of a bargain.

Dave

If they are decent pressings, and RTI usually are, plus a nice package and booklet £120 to £130 doesn’t seem overly expensive to me.

:grinning:

Just landed…

:grin:

5 Likes

Nice…

Perfectly Unhappy / Espen Eriksen Trio with Andy Sheppard.

Nordic Jazz meets the British saxophone master.

9 Likes

Michael Brecker / Nearness of You - The Ballad Book

Thinking about the Coltrane Ballads album. The late, great, American saxophonist and, arguably, one of his best albums.

4 Likes

Reinier Voet & Pigalle44 Ballade pour la nuit

Sound Liaison continues with the One Mic approach and with excellent results.
This Django style quartet seems ideally suited for the concept.
Highly recommended.

1 Like

Jim, my June three albums arrived here this morning, and all warped :rage: …the best of bunch only a 1mm rise and fall, one has a salad bowl dish, the other a buckle wave of 2mm.

Anyway, i’ve had another look at the Robert Canvas album from the May set [the one that is slightly warped i and was going to overlook] and now decided to send that back included with the 3 June issues.

If enough people send them back they may get the message eventually :roll_eyes:

I’m going for refunds, not going to bother with replacements which maybe even worse than the ones sent back…

<>

On the subject of BN80 vinyl reissues, i notice there are also many [Limited Edition] RTI pressed which Amazon have listed at around 36 quid give or take a couple of quid.
Maybe these are the ‘real-deal’ and what we should be buying (?)

My gut feeling is the 19 quid warped efforts will be made in large enough quantities to drop in price anyway.
It’s a shame cos the SQ seems reasonable, but i’m reluctant to buy any more :disappointed:

1 Like

Not the greatest performance in either of these Jazz great’s careers but they do sound so good together and Analogue Productions do a great job on this Pablo release.

3 Likes

It’s disappointing to read yours and Jim’s reports on these new BN remasters. I’ve not purchased any yet because my recent vinyl buying experience has not been good, and besides, I have some of them on CD, which in the RVG remaster do sound very good when streamed.

Is there an email address for BN or UMG which you could write to? I wonder if returned discs actually get back to the pressing plant, or do they take any notice? I also wonder what percentage of the warped discs are actually returned. Many people might just shrug it off and lose faith in vinyl as a music source. If returned quantities are low, will the record plants take any notice?

2 Likes

@Debs, Wonderful music.

However, I was fortunate to buy this box for less than half the actual price. Fortunately in that the box was listed for a short time at a large German mail order for 60 €. Of course ordered immediately. The build quality is excellent. Think the genius of his music is known.

2 Likes

I’ve just got this new Stan Getz release. Recorded in 1961 and unreleased until now. It’s available as 3 LPs, 2 CDs or boring old download, which I have. It’s a more assertive band than he usually used, and no worse for that. It really is exceptionally good.

7 Likes

Awaiting eagerly to see this succesful download from Qobuz, as per another thread tremendous issues with the quality of Qobuz, and they don’t care…

I’ve just opened and am playing my Blue Note 80 issues of Takin’ Off and Doin’ Allright. So far, so good. Both flat, centred and sounding good. A shame about the paper inners though. And overall presentation pales a bit besides their Tone Poet series siblings, which are lovely.

1 Like